Traction battery and cold weather.

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2007, 10:36 PM
TCH 2007 newbie May 07
Default Traction battery and cold weather.

I've heard there are reports from overseas where hybrids being used as taxis have over 400k miles without battery failure. I'm guessing these are being used in warmer climes.

Does anyone know if cold weather would shorten the life of the traction battery? Should any precautions be taken, like plugging in an electric blanket around the battery area in winter?

It just seems that temp swings would be hard on this device given all it is asked to do.

Old 06-22-2007, 10:58 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Traction battery and cold weather.

Heat is the #1 enemy of any chemical battery.

Old 06-22-2007, 11:26 PM
Active Enthusiast

Granted that ambient temperature (high and low) has a detrimental effect on all chemical batteries, The Prius has been operating for MANY years in all climes with VERY FEW battery problems.

The worst temperature problem for the traction battery is heat. That's why there is a vent on the rear shelf. (In that vent are, there is also a fan to keep the battery cool.)

BTW, in the northern areas, the do use heaters. Not for the batteries, but for the engine (don't know if it's for coolant, oil or engine block).

Old 06-23-2007, 01:12 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

A lot of Prius taxis are running in Vancouver, Canada.
I believe it is not warm, especially in winter.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/8839690/

Ken@Japan

Old 01-10-2009, 01:38 PM
Enthusiast

Vancouver does not get that cold in the Winter, however i know most cab companies in Winnipeg, manitoba, Canada run Prius and it normally gets to -30 to -40oC for some part of the winter.

I drive a Saturn Vue in Edmonton, and was VERY happy with things, until the Gm mechanics first looked at it for a recall issue. It's never been the same and this winter during a very cold series of weeks (below -30oC) the entire electrical system died, the only diagnostic error noted in the computer was the battery failed, but somehow i believe it is more related to the 'alternator' (mostly as it was the last recalled part) and the car started fine during the cold spirt it just stopped charging.

Anyone know if GM can exchange their new lithium batteries for the old metal hylides?

Old 01-10-2009, 04:01 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Toyota gives you an 8 year warranty on the battery. Don't worry about it until then.