Transmission coolant leak

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2011, 06:42 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Transmission coolant leak

I asked the service writer if they were billing the extended warranty or Toyota under the hybrid warranty for the transaxle, and he said the hybrid warranty.
However, after looking at the hybrid warranty I believe he was mistaken. The 60K powertrain warranty specifically lists the transaxle, even for the Prius. The hybrid warranty states it covers the Hybrid-related components, including the HV battery, battery control module, hybrid control module and inverter with converter.

I can't help wondering what were they thinking... you can't have a Toyota hybrid without the transaxle, it's Power Split Device and electric motors. If that is not a hybrid-related component, I don't know what is.

Quoting Toyota: Toyota perfected the series/parallel or "full" hybrid to deliver the energy-saving benefit of a series hybrid together with the acceleration benefit of a parallel hybrid. Two key technologies — the power split device and sophisticated energy management — make this possible.

I'll look into it further, but would be surprised if they did use the hybrid warranty.

Last edited by nash; 05-10-2011 at 06:59 PM.
Old 05-10-2011, 07:48 PM

maybe they simply wanted to be cool, considering crap that was just given to Toyota. maybe it was such an outrageous situation, that they chose to take a bullet and have it fixed under whatever pretext.
mof, this is a precedent. it might good to have your dealership name, to refer to it, in case this happens to others.
any way, much obliged for clarification.

Old 05-10-2011, 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by ukrkoz
maybe they simply wanted to be cool, considering crap that was just given to Toyota. maybe it was such an outrageous situation, that they chose to take a bullet and have it fixed under whatever pretext.
mof, this is a precedent. it might good to have your dealership name, to refer to it, in case this happens to others.
any way, much obliged for clarification.
The dealership is Toyota Chula Vista. I've had all my service done there, and bought the car new from them.

Old 05-11-2011, 06:08 AM
Veracitorian Muser

The non-hybrid Camry has a transaxle which is covered under the regular warranty, while the Hybrid has a power-split-device-transaxle which is covered under the hybrid components warranty. They are two very different devices which both occupy a similar space under the hood and are sometimes referred to by the same name.

-- Alan

Old 05-11-2011, 12:18 PM

thank you, nash. reason i am curious is i had a small inverter coolant level drop at 54000 miles. that's when they replaced water pump. they simply added a bit of coolant to the inverter canister. i am monitoring it, but if it drops down again, as it should not, i'll know which bell to ring this time. you have been very helpful, thank you.

Old 05-11-2011, 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by alan_in_tempe
The non-hybrid Camry has a transaxle which is covered under the regular warranty, while the Hybrid has a power-split-device-transaxle which is covered under the hybrid components warranty. They are two very different devices which both occupy a similar space under the hood and are sometimes referred to by the same name.

-- Alan

hybrid vehicle transaxle IS NOT covered under HSD warranty. HSD warranty is covering only 4 components, battery, control unit, inverter, and something else. something "control".

transaxle, as in "entire case and all internal components" is covered under powertrain warranty.

just looked it up in Hybrid Camry warranty brochure.

what might have happened is as HSD covered gasket leaked fluid into non-HSD, non-covered transaxle, they had no choice but to fix it.

Old 02-27-2014, 11:14 AM
Enthusiast

Same issue with my 2006 RX 400H. A "seal leak" that requires a Brand new transmission to the tune of almost 6 grand on a vehicle with 105,00 miles.
Hybrid answer ro everthign is you have to replace everythign due to its a hybrid, its a hybrid. So you save no money because of repairs like this. Already had a power inverter recall to the tune of $3k plus paid for by Lexus. Totoally ridiculous on a $50K car!!

Old 03-02-2014, 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by nash
The coolant is the original factory fill. The service tech said he left it on the pressure test quite a while. This leak is very slow. I drive around 500 miles a week. So it took about 2000 miles for the level to drop less than 1/2 inch. It was just luck I found the dried antifreeze build up. The tech said it was not ATF, but antifreeze.

Toyota called today and said the new transmission arrived and the install should be finished tomorrow. I'll try and get more info on what actually failed.

I did not take a photo of the leak. If you open the hood, and look under the air intake at about a 45 degree angle to the front of the transmission, you will see a black bracket with one bolt holding it in place. This is about half way down the front of the transmission, roughly below the electric water pump. The leakage was around that bracket.
Sounds like it was very slowly leaking when the case was at operating temperature. The serviceman's pressure test evidently didn't show the problem due to the case being cool.