Undercoating?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2009, 12:44 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Undercoating?

Vehicles no longer come fully factory undercoated and there's a good reason for it. Only about 15 States in the US actually use SALT on their roads in the winter. (Mainly Northeast & East Coast States). Once upon a time, EVERY vehicle from Factory was coated...and you paid for it to. It was listed right on the Monroney Sticker! Customers living in the other 35 States in the US were literally being FORCED to pay for something they did NOT need. After a lot of media attention and the involvement of the Government, Factories stopped applying this to ALL vehicles.

If you live in the following states:

Virginia
California
Iowa
Minnesota
West Virginia
Illinois
New Jersey
Maryland
Maine
Delaware
Indiana
Ohio
Wisconsin
Michigan
New Hampshire
New York
Vermont
Massachusetts

You SHOULD get undercoating. Most dealerships in these states offer it and it's not very expensive. (Couple hundred dollars). Also, many people think that just by running their vehicles through a car wash after is snows will save them from have under carriage corrosion....WRONG. Salt stays on the roads months after is snows. Every time it rains, some of that salt melts and is kicking back up under your vehicle!

By the way, I have been a toyota mechanic for 18 years and I can tell you that the Corrosion Perforation Warranty does not cover undercarriage corrosion. It only covers Side Panel Body Rust that is large enough to poke a pen through!

I hope this helps!!!!

Old 04-17-2009, 12:47 PM
Enthusiast

One more thing I forgot to mention. There are still a few automobile manufacturers that I know still undercoat their vehicles - BMW & Mercedes. Not sure about any of the other luxury automobiles but you do NOT need undercoating if you are purchasing either of these because it's already been applied!

Old 04-17-2009, 12:54 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by toyotech
Vehicles no longer come fully factory undercoated and there's a good reason for it. Only about 15 States in the US actually use SALT on their roads in the winter. (Mainly Northeast & East Coast States). Once upon a time, EVERY vehicle from Factory was coated...and you paid for it to. It was listed right on the Monroney Sticker! Customers living in the other 35 States in the US were literally being FORCED to pay for something they did NOT need. After a lot of media attention and the involvement of the Government, Factories stopped applying this to ALL vehicles.

If you live in the following states:

Virginia
California
Iowa
Minnesota
West Virginia
Illinois
New Jersey
Maryland
Maine
Delaware
Indiana
Ohio
Wisconsin
Michigan
New Hampshire
New York
Vermont
Massachusetts

You SHOULD get undercoating. Most dealerships in these states offer it and it's not very expensive. (Couple hundred dollars). Also, many people think that just by running their vehicles through a car wash after is snows will save them from have under carriage corrosion....WRONG. Salt stays on the roads months after is snows. Every time it rains, some of that salt melts and is kicking back up under your vehicle!

By the way, I have been a toyota mechanic for 18 years and I can tell you that the Corrosion Perforation Warranty does not cover undercarriage corrosion. It only covers Side Panel Body Rust that is large enough to poke a pen through!

I hope this helps!!!!

I'm not sure why you are resurecting 2 almost identical threads here, both of which are several years old.... but I will post my comment here as well, in the hopes that a mod can merge the threads.

I was sort of agreeing with what you said, unit I saw California on the list of states you recommend getting undercoat. Uhm.....There are literaly MILLIONS and MILLIONS of drivers in California that never drive in snow or even freezing conditions. Why would you recommend they get their cars undercoated?

Last edited by jbollt; 04-17-2009 at 12:58 PM.
Old 04-17-2009, 01:25 PM
Enthusiast

Sorry about the double post. The page had errored so I didn't think my post made it in!

Believe it or not, California uses 3 tons of road salt per lane mile each winter. They're consider a "Moderate" salt user. Massachusetts uses the most at 19.4 Tons of Road Salt pper lane mile each winter!

Old 04-18-2009, 07:14 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

The only good reason for undercoating these days is for sound deadening. I use 4 cans of spray undercoating, one for each wheelwell, to help deaden the tire noise.

You'd be amazed at how well that works.

Remove the wheels and pressure wash every body surface in the wheelwell, let it dry thoroughly and then use the spray undercoating liberally, but using multiple light coats.