Undercoating?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2007, 11:50 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Undercoating?

Hi all,

I should be picking up my TCH in the next few days and wanted to get a general concensus on undercoating a TCH. I notice that the rear wheel wells have a **** like material on them and was not sure what or why it was. I'm guessing that this is some sort of sound insulatation so I suppose it should not be undercoated over. Also, what does undercoating do to the drag coefficient of the under carriage?

Thanks

Old 07-11-2007, 02:29 AM
Led-footed HyBrid geek
Default Re: Undercoating?

I would never get undercoating. Cars are made much better these days and don't have the rust issues like they did when undercoating came to fame.
Save your money

Old 07-11-2007, 10:01 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by beng
Hi all,

I should be picking up my TCH in the next few days and wanted to get a general concensus on undercoating a TCH. I notice that the rear wheel wells have a **** like material on them and was not sure what or why it was. I'm guessing that this is some sort of sound insulatation so I suppose it should not be undercoated over. Also, what does undercoating do to the drag coefficient of the under carriage?

Thanks
The material in the rear wheel well is sound insulation material. It's to reduce the sound of water splashing against the wheel well (among other uses) from entering the cabin.

Old 07-11-2007, 10:14 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by beng
Hi all,

Thanks

The shop would really have to know what they are doing. Sometimes putting an undercoating on top of what already comes with the car (which is already excellent) can comprimise the factory application. Why? Well an undercoating put on at the dealer (or wherever) can plug holes that should NOT be plugged. You don't ever want to trap water (or salt). A careless application can do just that. In fact you have to be very careful not to plug anything.

undercoating are only worth it if your car didn't have one to begin with, which is never the case with new cars. so no... they are not worth it.

Old 04-17-2009, 12:38 PM
Enthusiast

You are being mislead. Vehicles no longer come fully factory undercoated and there's a good reason for it. Only about 15 States in the US actually use SALT on their roads in the winter. (Mainly Northeast & East Coast States). Once upon a time, EVERY vehicle from Factory was coated...and you paid for it to. It was listed right on the Monroney Sticker! Customer living in the other 35 States in the US were literally being FORCED to pay for something they did NOT need. After a lot of media attention and the involvement of the Government, Factories stopped applying this to ALL vehicles.

If you live in the following states:

Virginia
California
Iowa
Minnesota
West Virginia
Illinois
New Jersey
Maryland
Maine
Delaware
Indiana
Ohio
Wisconsin
Michigan
New Hampshire
New York
Vermont
Massachusetts

You SHOULD get undercoating. Most dealerships in these states offer it and it's not very expensive. (Couple hundred dollars).

By the way, I have been a toyota mechanic for 18 years and I can tell you that the Corrosion Perforation Warranty does not cover undercarriage corrosion. It only covers Side Panel Body Rust that is large enough to poke a pen through!

I hope this helps!!!!

Old 04-17-2009, 12:45 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by toyotech
You are being mislead. Vehicles no longer come fully factory undercoated and there's a good reason for it. Only about 15 States in the US actually use SALT on their roads in the winter. (Mainly Northeast & East Coast States). Once upon a time, EVERY vehicle from Factory was coated...and you paid for it to. It was listed right on the Monroney Sticker! Customer living in the other 35 States in the US were literally being FORCED to pay for something they did NOT need. After a lot of media attention and the involvement of the Government, Factories stopped applying this to ALL vehicles.

If you live in the following states:

Virginia
California
Iowa
Minnesota
West Virginia
Illinois
New Jersey
Maryland
Maine
Delaware
Indiana
Ohio
Wisconsin
Michigan
New Hampshire
New York
Vermont
Massachusetts

You SHOULD get undercoating. Most dealerships in these states offer it and it's not very expensive. (Couple hundred dollars).

By the way, I have been a toyota mechanic for 18 years and I can tell you that the Corrosion Perforation Warranty does not cover undercarriage corrosion. It only covers Side Panel Body Rust that is large enough to poke a pen through!

I hope this helps!!!!

I was sort of agreeing with what you said, unit I saw California on the list of states you recommend getting undercoat. Uhm.....There are literaly MILLIONS and MILLIONS of drivers in California that never drive in snow or even freezing conditions. Why would you recommend they get their cars undercoated?