Updated ScanGaugeII with XGauge — Codes Needed!

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2007, 10:23 AM
SPL
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Updated ScanGaugeII with XGauge — Codes Needed!

There's a very active discussion on the FEH/MMH (Ford Escape Hybrid/Mercury Mariner Hybrid) forum about the recently updated ScanGaugeII. This firmware update adds the ability for the user to add additional displays, and the "XGauge" capability allows the updated ScanGaugeII to display vehicle-specific information, like NiMH battery State of Charge, voltage, and current, and motor-generator speeds, etc. ( See http://www.scangauge.com/support/xgauge.shtml.) The rub is that one needs to know the vehicle-specific codes that will allow one to access this information! There is such code information available for the Prius and FEH/MMH, but I have seen no such information for the TCH on the Web. Does anyone here have such information, or know where it can be found? Our vehicle seems to be missing out on this opportunity, and I for one would be very interested in having this ability. I haven't had my two ScanGaugeII's updated yet partly because of this very lack of information.

I'm copying below a relevant posting of mine from the FEH/MMH forum concerning the appropriate parameter setting for TPS (Throttle Position Setting) that would be needed on the updated ScanGaugeII in order to properly register fuel-cut operation, and so correctly compute both fuel usage and FE.

Quote:
"I find it very interesting to read how Ron DeLong eventually dealt with the fuel-cut issue in ScanGaugeII. I had a lot of e-mail communications with him on this issue back in April. This is what I find in my Toyota Camry Hybrid (TCH):
  • Before the first start of the ICE, the TPS reads 18 (open-loop of course).
  • When the ICE first starts up in really cold weather (well below freezing), it initially stays open-loop for some seconds. During this brief period, the TPS appears to read between 15 and 17. On going closed-loop, while still at idle, it rises to 19 and then drops slowly to 16 as it warms up.
  • When fully warmed up, and idling, it reads 15-16 (closed-loop).
  • When fully warmed up, and in pure-EV mode, it reads 15 (open-loop).
  • When coasting in pure-EV mode, it reads 14-15 (open-loop).
  • When coasting in fuel-cut mode in 'D', it reads 15 (open-loop).
  • When coasting in fuel-cut mode at high speed in 'B', I have seen it read 19 briefly, before dropping to 15 (open-loop).
I shall monitor the cold-startup TPS and open-/closed-loop behavior of my TCH a bit more over the next little while, and report back if I need to modify the statements I made in bullet #2 above.

So, for my vehicle, a setting of 16 or 17 would seem to be appropriate. My TCH always reads open-loop when it goes into fuel-cut."

Stan

Last edited by SPL; 12-29-2007 at 11:46 AM. Reason: Added an additional bullet point.
Old 12-28-2007, 03:00 PM
Default Re: Updated ScanGaugeII with XGauge — Codes Needed!

I talked with Linear Logic today and ask about the codes. Ron said there were many codes on the bus and that more codes were coming soon. They would try to put them on there site like they did with the prius. There looking for a stable code for the traction battery voltage.

I had my scan gauge II upgraded a month ago. I don't like the small print in the operating manual. He said I can print that book out from the .pdf on there site and make it any size I want.

Old 12-29-2007, 11:01 AM
SPL

rburt07 — Thanks for the information. There are only two codes given for the Prius on the ScanGauge Web site: State of Charge and Battery Voltage. Neither works in the TCH; at least, there is no response to a ScanGauge query on the CAN bus, but that may simply be that the "car identifier" portion of the TXD code is wrong. I don't know the correct TCH identifier. Moreover, one would like very many more codes than two, such as the long list in the FEH section of the document! The Owner's Manual on the Web site also does not include information regarding the proper setting of the TPS cutoff value for correct detection of fuel-cut (as discussed in post #1).

For information, can you please tell me whether the Version # of the firmware in your updated ScanGauge ("MORE>MORE>MORE<VERSION") is 3.15 or 3.15*? The FEH forum has come to the conclusion that updated older production ScanGauges say 3.15*, while current production units say 3.15. (There appears to have been a micro-processor change recently.) Some FEH codes don't work on the Version 3.15* units.

Stan

Old 12-29-2007, 03:21 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SPL
rburt07 —
There are only two codes given for the Prius on the ScanGauge Web site: State of Charge and Battery Voltage....
Stan
Stan, There are many entires for the FEH as you have noted. Since I spend most of my time in that area, I'll say that the SGII firmware ver 3.14, 3.15, 3.15*, may not be the determining factor vs. year of FEH. Seems that many of the 2005-2006 folks can't read SoC but can read Traction Bat Temp (BTM), and I haven't seen anbody, including myself, that can read BTM on the 08 AWD with 3.15???

Seems nobody knows for sure whether the firmware version, year of vehicle, extra computer due to AWD, year of vehicle, or what is responsible. Time will tell.

It's obvious that SGII info for the other hybrids is lacking, but the CAN bus probably has all the info available. Since we are all a hybrid fraternity, hope Ron at Linear Logic finds the time to get it all straightened out.

Old 12-29-2007, 09:25 PM

Can you please tell me whether the Version # of the firmware in your updated ScanGauge ("MORE>MORE>MORE<VERSION") is 3.15 or 3.15*? The FEH forum has come to the conclusion that updated older production ScanGauges say 3.15*, while current production units say 3.15. (There appears to have been a micro-processor change recently.) Some FEH codes don't work on the Version 3.15* units.

Stan

I must have the old timey Scan Gauge II. This one shows, version 3.15*. If later I find it won't read the traction battery voltage I can move it to the wife's pickup and than buy a new one.

It looks like the upgrade adds, max rpm, temp, speed and gas cost.

Today I filled my fuel tank. I watched the fellow on the next pump fill his suv. His price came to $60. Then I though, I'm so glad I bought this TCH.

Last edited by rburt07; 12-29-2007 at 09:42 PM.