VSC Warning and Check Hybrid System Warning Lights

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2019, 01:41 PM
Enthusiast
Default VSC Warning and Check Hybrid System Warning Lights

2007 Camry Hybrid, purchased June, 2006, 204,XXX miles. Yesterday, 2/10/2019, I hopped in the car and proceeded to go to two stores. I noticed that I had very little acceleration from a stop, otherwise it was fine. I made my first stop, got the cat food, got back in the car and off I went. I took the scenic route to the second store in order to avoid Main Street and after a couple of minutes, all the warning lights came on. I completed my second stop and went home. I plugged in the OBD thing and it showed P0A80, of course. I drove the car to the gym this morning and now only the Check Hybrid System warning light is on. The vehicle will not drop into electric mode and it is still sluggish from a stop. I drove it to work (25 miles) just to feel it out and it made it fine despite the lack of electric mode and sluggish start. I even got 41mpg on the trip, which is pretty average. Anyhow, what is everyone's experience with P0A80? A few things to note:

1. Although I LOVE this car I will not replace the battery pack
2. The most I will do to this car is replace the 12V battery
3. The battery pack is original
4. The engine rings have been replaced twice under warranty. The last time was at 181,XXX miles.
5. Oil change and other basic maintenance every 5K miles
6. It has been f'ing cold lately and the last few mornings we have even had ice on the cars (could the weather have pushed the batteries over the edge?)

Thanks!!

Old 02-11-2019, 05:39 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: VSC Warning and Check Hybrid System Warning Lights

P0A80 = failed hybrid battery. It has likely deteriorated substantially over time/mileage. The symptoms you describe confirm it and are likely made worse by the cold. I'm not saying the cold caused the battery to fail, I'm saying the battery has failed, and the cold is making the failed battery/low power symptoms worse. They may improve when it warms up, and you may be able to run this way for awhile. You will NOT be able to pass emissions with the vehicle in this condition.

Old 02-12-2019, 08:28 AM
Enthusiast

​​​​​thank you! It’s not due for a smog test for 18 months. The vehicle was just salvaged due to being rear-ended. Combine the salvage title with the miles and there is NO value to the vehicle. The Camry has become a spare car as I purchased a new car in April. I will just continue to drive it until it can’t go any further or it becomes illegal to do so due to the inability to register it. It’s a great car, nonetheless.

Old 02-12-2019, 09:19 AM

Extended periods of sitting will hasten its demise. Hybrid batteries, especially older, higher mileage ones, tend to bleed off charge much faster and less evenly than younger cells. Failure to drive it 5-7 days/week for 10+ miles/20 minutes will decrease any remaining life.

Old 06-25-2019, 06:19 PM
Enthusiast

I just joined. I have a 08 Camry, it has both these lights on and won't drive. The combustion engine will come on for about ten seconds then shut off. I have p0301 p0335 p2111 p3190. The brake actuator makes some noise when the car is off. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!

Old 06-25-2019, 06:42 PM

When asking for help, history is relevant. Did you just buy this car? have you owned it awhile, etc.?

P0301 - misfire cyilnder 1 - usually plugs. Maybe coils. Maybe Head gasket failure if you detect coolant.
P0335 - Crankshaft Position Sensor "A" Circuit
P2111 - Throttle Actuator Control System - Stuck Open
P3190 - Poor engine power

IMHO, you are likely not actually experiencing the combustion engine running. You are likely seeing the HV battery spin the ICE for about 10 seconds trying to start it, but it is failing to start.

Are you 100% certain the vehicle has at least 5 gallons of fuel in it?

One thing common to ALL of those codes is failure of the Hybrid control ECU.

If you can't figure it out from the above, you should likely get a subscription to TIS at techinfo.toyota.com. Something like $15, and you get access to all of Toyota service manuals for 48 hours.

Old 06-25-2019, 07:23 PM
Enthusiast

Sorry, I just recently bought it and I don't have any history from the previous owner. So I'm probably just hearing it try to start. Interesting. Yes it has a quarter tank but I was wondering if the fuel gauge was known to be incorrect? Maybe something as simple as bad/no spark or no fuel? How would I diagnose the hybrid control ecu? Thanks

Old 06-25-2019, 08:20 PM

You bought it non-running? I hope you paid pennies.

Originally Posted by S Keith
If you can't figure it out from the above, you should likely get a subscription to TIS at techinfo.toyota.com. Something like $15, and you get access to all of Toyota service manuals for 48 hours.
I answered your last question in the post above.

Carve out a day, get a subscription and follow all the troubleshooting.

This isn't a trivial thing you're going to fix on the internet. Might even be worth a tow + $140 at the Toyota dealership to get a diagnosis.

Old 06-26-2019, 08:43 AM
Enthusiast

Thank you for the info. I could easily chase down those p0 codes but with the other two lights on I'm wondering if it's worth the time. It seems like they mean anything and everything could be wrong. I was hoping someone had the same issue and could expedite the process for me.

Old 06-26-2019, 08:53 AM

Ah. Taking a hit from the hopeium pipe.

The number of lights are irrelevant and should have no influence on your decision. All automotive systems are interwoven with hybrids being no exception and likely more so. A hybrid battery failure will trip almost every light in the car including ABS, VSC, CEL and one or two more... even with only one problem. All the systems communicate with one another.

The codes are telling you everything you need to know, but it's possible there are codes that can't be detected by your code reader. $15 for 48 hours of access, and a couple of hours of reading/printing, and you'll likely have a solution. If you aren't mechanically inclined and are just looking for a "replace air filter" ease of solution, abandon all hope.

Quick Reply: VSC Warning and Check Hybrid System Warning Lights

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands