Warm Up & Lock the Doors

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2007, 05:25 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Warm Up & Lock the Doors

I don't have a remote starter. With other cars, before I am ready to get in them I like to start them up and lock the doors and, for instance, go back in the house.

The TCH anti-lockout feature seems a little too aggressive and will not allow me to lock the doors EVER from the outside. At the very least, I wish it would let me use the remote to lock the doors. If the car is closed and I click the button, how could I possibly lock myself out?

Old 12-11-2007, 08:21 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Warm Up & Lock the Doors

Have you tried leaving one FOB in the car and locking the car using the other FOB by pushing the lock button (never tried this so don't know if it works. My guess is it won't work but it's worth a try)

Also have you tried opening the passenger side door and reaching across to the drivers side door and manually locking the doors and then just shut the passenger door? I would try this with or without the FOB in the car. When you are leaving the FOB in the car you want to make sure you have the other FOB handy so you can get back in the car if it locks

Old 12-11-2007, 08:27 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by tnsig
Have you tried leaving one FOB in the car and locking the car using the other FOB by pushing the lock button (never tried this so don't know if it works. My guess is it won't work but it's worth a try)

Also have you tried opening the passenger side door and reaching across to the drivers side door and manually locking the doors and then just shut the passenger door? I would try this with or without the FOB in the car. When you are leaving the FOB in the car you want to make sure you have the other FOB handy so you can get back in the car if it locks
I tried manually locking the doors from the driver side, but never tried it from the passenger side. Also, the other trick you mention is worth a try as well.

Thanks for the ideas.

Old 12-11-2007, 09:04 AM
Eco Accelerometrist

Ouch... an idling hybrid is quite a challenge for many of us... not only ethically but also from a technical standpoint.

Perhaps this "official" explanation will suffice? If you read that carefully and you're still not convinced then here's an additional comment:
If this "idling is bad for us" applies to Canadians, just imagine the moral implications for folks who live further south in a more moderate climates?

Cheers;

MSantos

Old 12-11-2007, 09:29 AM
Active Enthusiast

I see absolutely nothing unethical about getting the car warm before putting my infant and toddler inside.

Old 12-11-2007, 09:53 AM
Eco Accelerometrist

Indeed.

Most of us have kids as well and live through winters that reach -40F (and much lower) and I would wager that we do not love our kids any less than anyone else.

Idling a car simply to warm it up can only be ethical to the person who does it. But in the end, it is the "How we do it" part that could be the broader reaching issue. Have we considered alternatives to idling?

For example, not that makes it perfect, but block heaters, plugging the front grille, etc, could be a better answer. In a few cases these are not easily attainable or viable but for the most part they are well worth considering, particularly when we consider what is at stake and the fact that we own hybrid vehicles, no?

Again, the link I provided does not only identify our idling problem but it also explains and defines alternatives. Alternatives that more likely than not, complement our responsible vehicular choices.

Cheers;

MSantos

Old 12-11-2007, 09:55 AM
Camry Freak

Does your car need a warm up?

I have never warmed up my car. If I leave my climate controls set to "auto", it only takes my car about 4-5 blocks to start blowing warm air. The best part is that if you leave it set to "auto", it won't blow cold air at you- it will wait to turn the fan on until the car is warmed up enough to blow heat.

I imagine that NJ weather and temps are similar to the weather/temps here in WI.

Anyway, have you tried locking the door manually with the physical key? I'm not sure if this will work or not, but it might be worth a shot.

Old 12-11-2007, 11:06 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Have you forgotten about the key? You know.. the thing that inserts into a lock and can enable/disable a lock by turning the key clockwise/anti-clockwise?

And I'm sure we're all unethical, bad parents too.

Old 12-11-2007, 11:07 AM
Eco Accelerometrist

Sorry haroldo.

To many of us, idling only becomes an ethical question when we become aware that it is probably wrong. To me and many others it is can be an ethical issue. To many folks who either do not know or do not care then the issue of ethics is hardly the primary thing on their mind. And at least for the first group idling is hardly a reprehensible thing.

As a community we made a better choice by collectivily sharing the benefits of the technology we have availbale and the little knowledge we possess in hopes that maybe we can all make a positive difference - one person at a time.

At first, that biblical quote appears very suiting but it belongs to an appropriate context, which hardly provides a template for the mission we all have ahead of us. If global warming is not an issue to you and you do not see this as a larger collective issue then pardon my interruption. If you do then I suggest we consider the alternatives particularly in light of the few collective benefits we already benefit from.

Cheers;

MSantos

Old 12-11-2007, 03:18 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by hamm3r
I don't have a remote starter. With other cars, before I am ready to get in them I like to start them up and lock the doors and, for instance, go back in the house.

The TCH anti-lockout feature seems a little too aggressive and will not allow me to lock the doors EVER from the outside. At the very least, I wish it would let me use the remote to lock the doors. If the car is closed and I click the button, how could I possibly lock myself out?
Am I missing something......Lets say you have the fob in your pocket, you go out to the car, start it, get out,(you still have the fob in your pocket), push the little black button on the door handle. The doors will lock and the car will continue to run. The fob does not have to be in the car for it to continue running. Walk away. Are you saying you have tried this and it did not work?

Quick Reply: Warm Up & Lock the Doors

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands