Water pump replacement

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2008, 04:19 PM
Enthusiast
Default Water pump replacement

I took my 07 TCH in to the dealer for routine maintenance and asked that they look at the coolant system for leaks since I noticed some pink coolant on the garage floor. This was observed twice and the puddle was a nickel size each time. They diagnosed the issue as a leaking water pump. I talked to the technician and he stated that there have been numerous water pumps replaced in the four cylinder engines and that Toyota knows of the issue. He was not certain whether the replacement pump was a redesign pump. The leak was not even noticable on the coolant expansion tank. Keep an eye out.

Old 09-27-2008, 12:59 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Water pump replacement

The pink coolant could also be from the smaller cooling system or the inverter coolant pump. It's used to cool the inverter and the electric motor inside the power split device housing. Check the viewable reservoir next to the inverter.

If you look between the flat air intake located just above the radiator and the drivers headlight. Looking down behind the radiator you should see two hoses connected to a electric pump. It kicks on when the inverter gets over a preset temperature.

What complicates things, is the engine radiator coolant is also pink.

Old 09-27-2008, 06:19 AM
Enthusiast

The dealer also checked this out and did not see any issues. Having both fluids the same color does complicate things. One can use where the fluid is located on the garage floor relative to the car's equipment to help diagnose the issue. Thanks for the input.

Old 03-23-2009, 04:15 PM
Led-footed HyBrid geek

I just took my 2007 TCH in for an oil change and was told the water pump was leaking. I've got 28k miles on it & have had it for 2 yrs. I scheduled the pump to be replaced in a couple of days along with the steering rack. The rack is a recall item

Originally Posted by Fastforward
I took my 07 TCH in to the dealer for routine maintenance and asked that they look at the coolant system for leaks since I noticed some pink coolant on the garage floor. This was observed twice and the puddle was a nickel size each time. They diagnosed the issue as a leaking water pump. I talked to the technician and he stated that there have been numerous water pumps replaced in the four cylinder engines and that Toyota knows of the issue. He was not certain whether the replacement pump was a redesign pump. The leak was not even noticable on the coolant expansion tank. Keep an eye out.

Old 03-24-2009, 04:06 PM
Active Enthusiast
Question Re: Water pump replacement

Is replacing the water pump a warrantee issue as long as you have not passed the 3 year, 36,000 mile mark?

Old 03-24-2009, 09:59 PM

Dave, I would think so with it being in warranty. A call to the Service Writer would answer that question.

Watching the fluid levels on the inverter glass and the radiator overflow tank is a good way to spot leaks. I have seen leaks so slow it would take weeks to see the reservoir get a little low.

Last edited by rburt07; 03-24-2009 at 10:30 PM.
Old 03-25-2009, 03:53 PM
Enthusiast

Yep, just took my 2007 in for the steering recall, told them that the coolant level was a little low.
The water pump was leaking so they changed it as well.

Old 03-26-2009, 06:29 AM

Whoa?? Is there an odd number of people having water pump issues or is it just me?

Old 03-26-2009, 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by mikieboyblue
Whoa?? Is there an odd number of people having water pump issues or is it just me?
I was thinking the same thing! What do we have, three now reported? And all 2007 TCHs? "Whoa" is right!

I have an '07 with 53,000 miles...Are water pumps covered under powertrain warranty? 60,000 miles? Don't have my booklets handy. I haven't heard of water pumps needing replacement in such low mileage cars since the GM cars of the 1960's........

Old 03-26-2009, 10:03 PM
Active Enthusiast

Scary, I put over 200,000 on the water pump on my previous car. Hopefully this is not a trend.

Quick Reply: Water pump replacement

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands