Water pump replacement

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2010, 08:41 AM
Super Moderator
Default Re: Water pump replacement

Carlos,

You do not get anywhere near the oil pan to replace the water pump on these cars. The only way they could put FIPG on the oil pan would be to remove it and that could not be done in 3 hours with them also doing the water pump.

They do use "gasket in a tube" for the water pump however and that might be what they meant instead of the oil pan. By the way, FIPG stands for Form In Place Gasket and is the modern, cheap answer to gaskets. They work well as long as you get everything in place within the 3 minute limit.

Old 04-28-2010, 08:47 AM
Active Enthusiast

Ok, so I'm not crazy then...I just couldn't understand why they'd be messing with the oil pan during a water pump replacement! And if that was really the case they would owe me some new synthetic motor oil! I'm sure they did mean that they put FIPG on the water pump (now that you mention it). I've used it plenty of times in the past on other vehicles. I just hope the tech that did this job did it right!!

I've got a few months before my big road trip in the car. I'm sure if there are any problems they will develop well before the end of August. Here's to hoping this new one lasts!

Old 05-25-2010, 04:45 PM
Enthusiast

Just had the water pump replaced on my 2009 TCH with 14k miles. Saw some pink fluid on the floor when the car sat over the weekend. There was some pink staining under the hood and I marked the reservoir and noticed a level drop. Work was done under warranty, of course, and FIPG Oil Pan was also an item line on the invoice.

Old 10-05-2010, 04:50 PM
Enthusiast

I have a 2008 TCH @56k miles and it has a water pump leak...

Old 10-05-2010, 06:21 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by khalsa
I have a 2008 TCH @56k miles and it has a water pump leak...

If you drain all of the coolant out of the system, it won't leak anymore.....

If you don't have an extended warranty, it's not that expensive to get it replaced.

Old 10-06-2010, 05:37 AM
Enthusiast

The water pump is covered under the powertrain warranty (60 months/60,000 miles)

Last edited by khalsa; 10-06-2010 at 06:43 AM.
Old 10-06-2010, 06:44 AM
Enthusiast

does anyone know how much this repair will cost outside of the warranty period? is it more than the cost to extend ones powertrain warranty?

Old 10-06-2010, 05:46 PM
Super Moderator

At a dealer, you pay for 1.8 hours of labor (assuming $100.00 an hour) which would be $180.00. Add to that the factory pump ($146.00) a couple of gallons of coolant ($35.00 or so) and while you are there, replace the serpentine belt ($29.00) for a total of $390.00.

If you get this done at a local shop, figure on a total around $100 to $125 less ( $265.00 to $290.00).

If you do this yourself and are buying parts at the local parts store? You are looking at the $100.00 to $125.00 range.

Old 10-07-2010, 03:10 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Georgia, how about you go into business. Travel the country visiting the TCH forum members, doing tune ups, water pump replacements, oil changes, etc.

Old 10-07-2010, 06:44 PM
Super Moderator

LOL,

Larry, I don't think much about it but I was raised in a welding shop in the Air Force (dad was a lifer) and when he retired, he opened a garage and I went to work for him at the tender age of 15 as a mechanic. I got out of the business years ago but still work on the family cars and keep a nice garage at home to work out of.

I will be breaking ground soon on a detached garage (the wife says the air tools are too noisy late at night) that will be 32x56 and have a couple of lifts. With both of the daughters in college now, daddy can get back to re-building old cars (a 1934 Chevy truck is first on the list) and start getting things in order for retirement.

By the way, I don't think about it when talking about tools because all of my buddies are like me with a nice garage and a nice tool box and I forget sometimes that not everyone works on their own car or has the equipment that I have. On the other hand, I can't spell lawyer or doctor without a spell checker so I guess there is balance in the world.....

By the way, this is the main box that I work out of and my cart:

cart_2.jpg

If I can help in any way, I will but I am still learning about the hybrid system in these cars. Love them to death but they are complicated little buggers.

Quick Reply: Water pump replacement

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands