What brand of gasoline do you use?

Old 11-11-2006, 04:16 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: What brand of gasoline do you use?

I usually buy Hess or Shell cuz I get 5% off with my card. Most name brands of 87 octane are fairly equal. And ditto on the no Citgo or Valero, I think everybody should boycott them even though it would hurt the independant dealer who leases the pumps.

Last edited by gandyfire; 11-14-2006 at 04:31 PM.
Old 11-11-2006, 04:39 PM
Keeping Toyota Solvent

Originally Posted by skywagon
I have a large tank with a pump ect for 100 octane low lead aviation fuel for my aircraft, this fuel has no ethanol, and a very long storage life which modern auto fuel does not have. A fifty fifty mix works well in my cars, trucks and Harley's. never gotten under 40 mpg with the TCH.
You pay your "Road Use Taxes" on the Aviation Gas you use in your car? I'm sure your do.

I would think even "Low Lead" Avgas would do a number on your catalytic converters (plural) in no time.

Old 11-11-2006, 05:16 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bmgoodman
I tend to go for any branded gas station (excluding Citgo and Valero because they are Venezuelan). I avoid getting gas while the gas delivery truck is at the station because they tend to stir up sediment as they pump into the station's tanks.
While Citgo is owned by Venezuela, Valero is a US company. They used to be a natural gas company until they sold their natural gasoline business and started buying gasoline stations. The New York Times ran an article on them and it made it very clear that they were a US company. Why do you think that they are Venezuelan?

Old 11-11-2006, 05:32 PM
Keeping Toyota Solvent

Originally Posted by Shining Arcanine
While Citgo is owned by Venezuela, Valero is a US company. They used to be a natural gas company until they sold their natural gasoline business and started buying gasoline stations. The New York Times ran an article on them and it made it very clear that they were a US company. Why do you think that they are Venezuelan?
They get a lot of crude oil from Venezuela. The country is run by moron.

Old 11-11-2006, 07:19 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by schmidtj
You pay your "Road Use Taxes" on the Aviation Gas you use in your car? I'm sure your do.

I would think even "Low Lead" Avgas would do a number on your catholic converters (plural) in no time.
Yes on the taxes, the 2 harleys run straight 100LL, Lexus, and General Motors vehical run 50% 100 LL. 50k on one 70K on another, only problem on one had to remove o2 sensor and clean. Better milage, better all around performance, computer can run timing way high due to no ping situation. is it worth the $3.50 extra per gallon? I think the extra perfromance and milage may balance it out. Have never got under 40 MPG with the TCH even with sloppy driving. PS lead in fuel is a lubricant for the valves and seats and engines love it.

Old 11-11-2006, 07:33 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by schmidtj
They get a lot of crude oil from Venezuela. The country is run by moron.

People in glass houses shouldn't throw stones!

Old 11-11-2006, 07:37 PM
Currency-to-hydrocarbons

We ran 130 Avgas in our racecars for a long time.
Compression ratios up to 14.5:1 .. Then they quit making/selling it.
We gave 100LL a try and found that we dynoed with the same power.
Had the fuel analyzed (Phillips) and were told that it had more lead content (by many times over) than did leaded automotive fuel. The vapor point of the AV fuel was a lot lower as well. While we didn't have any problem with vapor lock, some guys did. We used positive displacement eletric fuel pumps.

Gman is right. Engines (particularly their valves) love lead. The lead not only acts as a lubricant but a coolant as well. The lead helps carry far more heat away from the engine.

Problems in running a mix of leaded / un-leaded -
The lead will foul o2 sensors as well as poisoning the catalytic convertor with repeated use. o2 sensors will clean themselves (by heat) if not fed a continous diet of lead. Catalytic convertors will not fully recover and they will produce less output heat. The lower output heat will cause the secondary o2 sensor to set a code in the ECU indicating that the engine is not running efficiently. This will ultimately turn on the SES light on the dash.
The final problem is that it's actually illegal to introduce leaded fuel (except in the case of an emergency) to a vehicle driven on public roads that was designed to run un-leaded fuel.

Old 11-11-2006, 07:52 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by skywagon
Yes on the taxes, the 2 harleys run straight 100LL, Lexus, and General Motors vehical run 50% 100 LL. 50k on one 70K on another, only problem on one had to remove o2 sensor and clean. Better milage, better all around performance, computer can run timing way high due to no ping situation. is it worth the $3.50 extra per gallon? I think the extra perfromance and milage may balance it out. Have never got under 40 MPG with the TCH even with sloppy driving. PS lead in fuel is a lubricant for the valves and seats and engines love it.
You do realize that the lead destroyed your three way catalytic converter and you are now putting harmful hydrocarbons into the atmosphere that will cause lung illnesses and lead poisoning in the general population, right?

Old 11-11-2006, 08:18 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Big-Foot
......Problems in running a mix of leaded / un-leaded -
Originally Posted by Big-Foot
The lead will foul o2 sensors as well as poisoning the catalytic convertor with repeated use. o2 sensors will clean themselves (by heat) if not fed a continous diet of lead. Catalytic convertors will not fully recover and they will produce less output heat. The lower output heat will cause the secondary o2 sensor to set a code in the ECU indicating that the engine is not running efficiently. This will ultimately turn on the SES light on the dash.
The final problem is that it's actually illegal to introduce leaded fuel (except in the case of an emergency) to a vehicle driven on public roads that was designed to run un-leaded fuel.

I think you missed an important reason lead is not good, that is it poisons the environment not to mention the people and especially children who have to breathe the lead polluted air.

Old 11-11-2006, 08:23 PM
Currency-to-hydrocarbons

Originally Posted by Paulgw
I think you missed an important reason lead is not good, that is it poisons the environment not to mention the people and especially children who have to breathe the lead polluted air.
I missed nothing. Read the last sentence of my post.

Thanks..

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What brand of gasoline do you use?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands