View Poll Results: What is the dumbest part of the TCH?
The fact that the fuel refill door can be opened while driving
3.33%
The location of the ECO button
55.56%
The difficulty required to use the AUX MP3 plug
11.11%
Other, please let us know
21.11%
Nothing, I think my TCH is perfect!
8.89%
Voters: 90. You may not vote on this poll

What is the dumbest part of the TCH?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2008, 12:16 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default What is the dumbest part of the TCH?

Inane survey for the truly bored people out there.

Old 07-07-2008, 12:23 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: What is the dumbest part of the TCH?

I'm going to go with the fact by default the recirc will come on automatically at startup when the weather's really hot and you don't even have the fan going, let alone AC. I can think of no sensible explanation for excluding outside air when it's hot unless you're running the AC.

And I'll claim current lack of motivation rather than boredom for responding, at the moment, heh.

I do disapprove of the eco button a bit but as I rarely use AC/heat it doesn't affect me much. Oh one other thing was how incredibly tight the fit was for plugging in my old cell's car charger was. I just changed cells and was afraid it wouldn't come out--I was surprised it did, I'd left it in there since I got the car and first plugged it in, afraid I'd rip the whole thing apart.

Old 07-07-2008, 12:23 PM

Tough choice, I tossed a coin between the ECO and the fuel door. Fuel door won.

Old 07-07-2008, 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by chestr
I'm going to go with the fact by default the recirc will come on automatically at startup when the weather's really hot and you don't even have the fan going, let alone AC. I can think of no sensible explanation for excluding outside air ...
Humidity? I believe it is off by default with the heater, since RECIRC fogs the windows, maybe it is something along those lines?

Old 07-07-2008, 12:31 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

AC comes on in winter, presumably to help dry out the air and reduce/prevent fogging. In summer the recirc comes on when the fan is off and.. I don't know, sufficiently hot or something. Car starts with recirc on, and as it decides on its own when to do it and when not to, I could be driving 5 minutes with no venting assisting with car cooling before I noticed and turned it off. Again, I have no problem with it doing that when the AC is on. I can't imagine how it would help with the AC off.

It can be set to be made manual. Did this and much happier now.

And some here claim there's no humidity sensor so I don't know about that part.

Old 07-07-2008, 12:35 PM
Active Enthusiast

All this technology, but no memory seats???

Old 07-07-2008, 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by tbone526
...no memory seats???
They forgot? (ugh!)

Actually, that's got to be cost. It probably would have added $100-200 to the cost of the car. This is not a premium vehicle (nor does it have a premium price tag) so they have to cut corners, etc. They super duper fully loaded version of the Camry is called Lexus ES300.

Last edited by haroldo; 07-07-2008 at 12:40 PM.
Old 07-07-2008, 12:38 PM
Active Enthusiast

Im going with the aux location, too hard to reach in there for that little hole.

I do agree on the others as well. I wondered about the recirc and thought it might have something to do with the vent for the batteries but i'm still new to this and learning.

Old 07-07-2008, 01:02 PM
Enthusiast

OK, I cheated -- voted for "other," but the ECO button and the RECIRC default are parts of it. Actually, I find the entire climate control system kind of dumb: much of the time the AUTO setting works out well, but if you happen to want fresh air and only fresh air, good luck. The typical sequence is:

1) press the fan button once, twice, maybe more.....
2) turn the temperature control to the lowest setting. Oh wait, not that low, you just turned off ECO mode!
3) turn the temperature control back up one notch
4) press the ECO button
5) oops, you just opened the fuel door. Stop the car, close the fuel door, restart the car, and then press the ECO button. (OK, this one doesn't happen often, but you get the idea)
6) oh wait, it's in RECIRC mode (for no reason known to mere humans). Press the RECIRC button for fresh air.
7) oops, the AC light is lit and the AC is going full blast. Hmmm, you didn't have it on AUTO. Too bad, the TCH thinks it knows best. Press the button to turn off the AC.

At this point, assuming that you have not crashed into the car in front of you while fiddling with the climate controls, you have plain old fresh air coming through the vents. It was a struggle, but you have prevailed against all odds......

Bill

Old 07-07-2008, 01:07 PM
Active Enthusiast

I wish the TCH could use the electric motor more when starting from a dead stop. Starting from a stoplight or stop sign just sucks up the gas and use the electric motor could save a lot of fuel.

I also wish it could use all electric at about 45 or 50 MPH cruising speed instead of 40, then the motor could be used more on city streets.

Quick Reply: What is the dumbest part of the TCH?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands