View Poll Results: What grade of oil do you use?
0W-20 all year
66.67%
0W-20 winter 5W-20 warmer months
11.11%
10W-30 all year
3.33%
Other grade or combination
10.00%
I don't know, I just ask for an oil change
8.89%
Voters: 90. You may not vote on this poll

What grade of oil do you use?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2008, 01:13 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: What grade of oil do you use?

Originally Posted by kenkobra
This is a little overkill if you ask me. I change my oil in my Honda's every 10K will full synthic oil only. I have owned 7 Honda's over the past years and I have never had an engine problem. I am one who will only keep a Honda until about 120K on the engine and off for a new one. Now I do drive 25K per year (50 miles on way to work) and beat the hell out of my car. I am not one who believes you have to baby a car. It a car and you drive it. Change the oil and you will be fine.
I'd feel more comfortable extending my change interval if I drove 50 miles on average each trip. That's ideal, because you really get your engine warmed up. Shorter trips with more frequent warm up cycles is much harder, and for the same engine wear, requires more frequent changes. Today's oils are far superior to what was available 40 years ago. The other thing that allows oil to last longer is fuel injection vs. carburetion, so the crankcase isn't being diluted with unburned fuel in modern cars.

But engine tolerances are also closer, which demands lower viscosity oils. This also means that close tolerance moving parts are more susceptible to damage from impurities. And there’s the comfort factor, knowing that if you error by changing too often, you are erring on the correct side.

But then this thread is supposed to be about viscosity. I wouldn’t hesitate to use 0W20 synthetic if I find it for the next change. If not, I’m comfortable with 5W20.

Old 05-27-2008, 04:16 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: What grade of oil do you use?

Being in a location with triple digits temps in the summer and lows of mid 30's in winter(car is garaged) 0W-20 for TCH should be safe? 5W-20 is just preference then? Just have to check with dealer prior to oil changes and make sure they have 0W-20 in stock or available by time of change.