What happens when you're outta gas?

Old 01-29-2008, 07:39 PM
Enthusiast
Question What happens when you're outta gas?

What happens when the camry hybrid runs out of gas? Would it still go on battery power only (<40 miles per hour) until charge depletes?

Old 01-29-2008, 08:20 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: What happens when you're outta gas?

As far as I know yes, but you have no more than 1-2 miles range even with battery fully charged. I'm not sure what happens if the traction battery runs out of juice and you keep trying to drive, but if the battery is run down, you'll probably need dealer with special charger, even if you get the gas.

Old 01-29-2008, 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by Pete4
As far as I know yes, but you have no more than 1-2 miles range even with battery fully charged. I'm not sure what happens if the traction battery runs out of juice and you keep trying to drive, but if the battery is run down, you'll probably need dealer with special charger, even if you get the gas.
You are correct. If your traction battery dies you need to visit the deal to have it charged.

Old 01-31-2008, 12:55 AM

HIT THE FLASHERS

I'm not sure if you can even drive the Camry if the engine is out of gas. I was told by the salesman no, but with the Prius you can drive it on batteries without gas.

I doubt you can run down the traction battery in normal use. The 12 volt instrument battery keeps the ECU on operation. There is also a small processor mounted in the battery back. They work together to protect the battery from going lower than 40% charge. If it sat for a long time and the engine was out of gas then a possibility of the batteries going below the 40% charge. I don't think the ECU has the cabablility of dissconnecting the non use load on the traction batteries.

Whats this world coming too. My car has to boot up, the TV has to boot up. Even my new scales for Christmas has to boot up. People just don't realize how many computers are in their homes. Cordless phones, cell phones, radio controlled clocks and etc.

Old 01-31-2008, 04:09 AM

Originally Posted by 07camry
What happens when the camry hybrid runs out of gas? ...
Simple answer.
Don't let it happen.
You have a warning on your dash that lights up at least 75 to 100 miles (or more) before you run out of gas.
There are very few places in North America that you can drive such a distance without passing a gas station.
If you know that you are going to be driving in a remote location and you see a gas station...fill up....even if your tank isn't on empty.
This is a 100% preventable issue.

Old 01-31-2008, 08:32 AM

In his defense, people have been running out of gas while driving for years.

At least with the TCH you can drive a SHORT distance with out gas.