Electric Vehicle Forums

Electric Vehicle Forums (/forums/)
-   Toyota Camry Hybrid (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/toyota-camry-hybrid-49/)
-   -   what tires should I get for my 07 camry hybrid? (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/toyota-camry-hybrid-49/what-tires-should-i-get-my-07-camry-hybrid-28029/)

jimmy1 08-20-2012 07:19 PM

what tires should I get for my 07 camry hybrid?

My Michelin energy tire is completely wasted , cracked and becoming trash AFTER JUST 6 YEARS & 25K MILES.

I am looking for brand new 4 tires installed. I am looking for shops that has good warranty like the road hazart and costco seems to be the best but they require member ID and their online and stores don't have good selection. Costco also is not participating in the current $70 Michelin factory rebate. same goes to sears. Walmart is overpriced.

I found the tires I am looking for at tirerack.com but they dont have their own shops and have to pay shipping plus install and other charges at installation center. Discount tire is only in the suburbs and I live in the city.

I have reviewed lots of tires and found these 2 to be among the best ones for my car

Bridgestone Turanza Serenity Plus 215/60R16 95V
&

Michelin® Primacy™ MXV4® 215/60VR16 95V

What do you think and where should I get them ?
thanks

Ron AKA 08-20-2012 08:24 PM

Re: what tires should I get for my 07 camry hybrid?

Can't help with where to buy as I am in Canada. Here, Costco often has the $70 off offer on Michelins. Of your two choices I would pick the Michelin Primacy MXV4. I have them as factory originals on my 2012, and I'm quite happy with them. On a smooth pavement road, they are virtually silent.

Consumer reports rated the Primacy MXV4 #1 of over 20 tires with a score of 84. They also rated the Bridgestone Turanza Serenity, and overall it did well with a score of 80. Not sure what the significance of the Plus is. That aside there were significant differences between the Serentity and the Primacy, and the better tire may depend on your priorities.

Differences:
Dry braking - Michelin VG, Bridgestone Excellent (E)
Wet braking - Michelin VG, Bridgestone E
Handling - Michelin VG, Bridgestone E
Snow Traction - Michelin Good, Bridgestone Fair
Ice Braking - Michelin VG, Bridgestone Fair
Ride Comfort - Michelin VG, Bridgestone Good
Noise - Michelin G, Bridgestone VG
Rolling Resistance (fuel economy) - Michelin E, Bridgestone F
Tread Life - Michelin VG, Bridgestone F

I would call the Bridgestone a summer performance tire, without regard for tread life or fuel mileage. The Michelin is more of an all season tire (important in Canada), with high fuel economy and long tread life. And again CR did not rate the Plus version of the Bridgestone, so not sure if that makes a difference.

Hope that helps some. If you go Michelin check the tread depth and mileage rating of the specific models. Check the P and non P designated tires. They typically come in two types 9 or 9.5/32 depth with a rating of 500, or 11/32 with a rating of 620. I would go with the 11/32 depth and better tread life.

rburt07 08-21-2012 04:12 AM

Originally Posted by jimmy1 (Post 244096)
I have reviewed lots of tires and found these 2 to be among the best ones for my car

Bridgestone Turanza Serenity Plus 215/60R16 95V
&

Michelin® Primacy™ MXV4® 215/60VR16 95V

What do you think and where should I get them ?
thanks

Ron AKA was lucky. In Canada the Primacy's came on his new XLE hybrid and he really likes them.

jimmy1, I have no idea why the michelin tires you mention didn't hold up. Do you run 36 to 40 psi tested cold at night in your tires.

You don't mention your state, but I prefer discount tires if in your area. Their price includes balance and rotation for the life of the tire. The primacy's I bought included a $70 debit card. I don't know if that's still available, but you could check with your local tire stores.

I bought a set of the michelin primacy mxv4 tires months ago for my new '12 TCH. I traded in the 'new' oem bridgestone 400-02 tires. They had a whine to them and I read on tire rack, they would not last much past 20000 miles. The bridgestones tires your mentioned may be better.

The primacy tires are known for a quite smooth ride including it's a LRR to increase you mpg. They ride good even with 38 to 40 psi cold in them. I owned a set of michelins years ago that went 75000 miles. I bought another replacement set that went 70K when I traded my car off. These were on a Chevy Cavalier in the late 80's.

The 215/60R/16, 94V Primacy tire would be a good choice. This tire shows to be a 95V tire with a 11/32 tread and UTQG of 620 should last a very long time.
The small green-X on the sidewall is michlin's designation for their LRR tire.

http://www.michelinman.com/tire-sele...4/tire-details

Primacy tops the list here at #1 - click the tire name to read the customer reviews.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/survey....jsp?type=GTAS

jimmy1 08-21-2012 05:18 AM

Originally Posted by rburt07 (Post 244107)
Ron AKA was lucky. In Canada the Primacy's came on his new XLE hybrid and he really likes them.

jimmy1, I have no idea why the michelin tires you mention didn't hold up. Do you run 36 to 40 psi tested cold at night in your tires.

You don't mention your state, but I prefer discount tires if in your area. Their price includes balance and rotation for the life of the tire. The primacy's I bought included a $70 debit card. I don't know if that's still available, but you could check with your local tire stores.

I bought a set of the michelin primacy mxv4 tires months ago for my new '12 TCH. I traded in the 'new' oem bridgestone 400-02 tires. They had a whine to them and I read on tire rack, they would not last much past 20000 miles. The bridgestones tires your mentioned may be better.

The primacy tires are known for a quite smooth ride including it's a LRR to increase you mpg. They ride good even with 38 to 40 psi cold in them. I owned a set of michelins years ago that went 75000 miles. I bought another replacement set that went 70K when I traded my car off. These were on a Chevy Cavalier in the late 80's.

The 215/60R/16, 94V Primacy tire would be a good choice. This tire shows to be a 95V tire with a 11/32 tread and UTQG of 620 should last a very long time.
The small green-X on the sidewall is michlin's designation for their LRR tire.

http://www.michelinman.com/tire-sele...4/tire-details

Primacy tops the list here at #1 - click the tire name to read the customer reviews.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/survey....jsp?type=GTAS

I am in chicago and there is no discount tire store in the city but they are in the suburbs. I don't know if DT offers fre road hazart and if it does, how it works?
I see this http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/bro...ertificate.jsp but this seems to be a warranty for tire replacement only.

I am wondering if I should buy from discounttiredirect.com and than take them to WALMART for mounting/balancing/installation?
heared it is only about $60 installed with VALVE STEMS, but then they may not be offering ROAD HAZART WARRANTY?

jimmy1 08-21-2012 06:12 AM

Originally Posted by Ron AKA (Post 244100)
Can't help with where to buy as I am in Canada. Here, Costco often has the $70 off offer on Michelins. Of your two choices I would pick the Michelin Primacy MXV4. I have them as factory originals on my 2012, and I'm quite happy with them. On a smooth pavement road, they are virtually silent.

Consumer reports rated the Primacy MXV4 #1 of over 20 tires with a score of 84. They also rated the Bridgestone Turanza Serenity, and overall it did well with a score of 80. Not sure what the significance of the Plus is. That aside there were significant differences between the Serentity and the Primacy, and the better tire may depend on your priorities.

Differences:
Dry braking - Michelin VG, Bridgestone Excellent (E)
Wet braking - Michelin VG, Bridgestone E
Handling - Michelin VG, Bridgestone E
Snow Traction - Michelin Good, Bridgestone Fair
Ice Braking - Michelin VG, Bridgestone Fair
Ride Comfort - Michelin VG, Bridgestone Good
Noise - Michelin G, Bridgestone VG
Rolling Resistance (fuel economy) - Michelin E, Bridgestone F
Tread Life - Michelin VG, Bridgestone F

I would call the Bridgestone a summer performance tire, without regard for tread life or fuel mileage. The Michelin is more of an all season tire (important in Canada), with high fuel economy and long tread life. And again CR did not rate the Plus version of the Bridgestone, so not sure if that makes a difference.

Hope that helps some. If you go Michelin check the tread depth and mileage rating of the specific models. Check the P and non P designated tires. They typically come in two types 9 or 9.5/32 depth with a rating of 500, or 11/32 with a rating of 620. I would go with the 11/32 depth and better tread life.

SERENITY PLUS is newer one released 2 months ago and says 70k warranty.

if i install Bridgestone tires, do I also have to get new wheels? or the ones I have with my Michelin tire are ok?

Ron AKA 08-21-2012 07:40 AM

Originally Posted by jimmy1 (Post 244109)
if i install Bridgestone tires, do I also have to get new wheels? or the ones I have with my Michelin tire are ok?

Are you changing the tire size from the originals? If not, there should be no reason to change wheels, unless you want to change the appearance of the car.

jimmy1 08-21-2012 08:08 AM

Originally Posted by Ron AKA (Post 244111)
Are you changing the tire size from the originals? If not, there should be no reason to change wheels, unless you want to change the appearance of the car.

no it is same 215/60R/16, my current tire is 94V< the one i may buy from bridgestone/tirerack is 95V.

i wonder if i can buy the tire from tirerack, but buy the road hazard from walmart?

Ron AKA 08-21-2012 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by jimmy1 (Post 244112)
no it is same 215/60R/16, my current tire is 94V< the one i may buy from bridgestone/tirerack is 95V.

The 95 is a higher load rating, but if the tire size (215/60R/16) is the same, you don't need a new rim. You don't really need a V rated tire for speed either. H is fine. However, sometimes it just comes down to getting the tire you want, and they may be limited in rating selection.

Have you tried the Michelin Dealer Finder? The ones with the "$70" beside them apparently honor the rebate offer.

jimmy1 08-21-2012 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by Ron AKA (Post 244114)
The 95 is a higher load rating, but if the tire size (215/60R/16) is the same, you don't need a new rim. You don't really need a V rated tire for speed either. H is fine. However, sometimes it just comes down to getting the tire you want, and they may be limited in rating selection.

Have you tried the Michelin Dealer Finder? The ones with the "$70" beside them apparently honor the rebate offer.

even though recommended is 94V. i can still get the 95V? won't be a problem?

GeorgiaHybrid 08-21-2012 11:46 AM

As long as the tire size (215/60 R16) stays the same, the load ratings can be higher as well as the speed ratings (94V vs 95V or 94H vs 95V). The car came with V speed rated tires but unless you plan on driveing 130+ for extended periods (good luck getting your car that fast), H rated tires will work just fine.

Check out NTB tires for everything you were asking about. The offer the rebate, warranty and tire damage replacement for a price. They are also certified installers for the TireRack. They have two stores in Chicago from what I can tell on a google search. One in Oak Lane and the other in Countryside.

By the way, you will not get new valve stems, just new cores to go in them. Your car is equiped with a TPMS system and the sensor is made into the stem. The 94 load rating is good for 1477 pounds and the 95 load rating is good for 1521 pounds.

Edit: To understand what the numbers mean, for a 215/60 R16 94V tire, the 215 is the width (in mm) of the tread, the 60 refers to the ratio of the height of the sidewall in relation to the tread width. In this case the side wall is 60% of the tread width or 130mm. The "R" indicates a radial construction tire, the 16 is the wheel diameter in inches, the 94 is the load rating and the V indicated the speed rating. You can also tell the date the tire was made by looking at the DOT code on the sidewall you will see a number like this : DOT U2LL LMLR 5111. The last 4 digits of that number indicate the week and year the tire was made in this case, and the first two indicate the week in that year (51) that the tire was made and the last two indicate the year (2011). Never buy a tire more than 9 or 12 months old unless you have no other choice as all tires age crack but if you buy one that has been sitting in the warehouse for 2 years, they will start cracking sooner than a newer tire.

As far as tires go, I just put on a set of Michelin Primacy MXV4 plus about 6 weeks ago.