what tires should I get for my 07 camry hybrid?

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2012, 12:08 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: what tires should I get for my 07 camry hybrid?

Originally Posted by GeorgiaHybrid
As long as the tire size (215/60 R16) stays the same, the load ratings can be higher as well as the speed ratings (94V vs 95V or 94H vs 95V). The car came with V speed rated tires but unless you plan on driveing 130+ for extended periods (good luck getting your car that fast), H rated tires will work just fine.

Check out NTB tires for everything you were asking about. The offer the rebate, warranty and tire damage replacement for a price. They are also certified installers for the TireRack. They have two stores in Chicago from what I can tell on a google search. One in Oak Lane and the other in Countryside.

By the way, you will not get new valve stems, just new cores to go in them. Your car is equiped with a TPMS system and the sensor is made into the stem. The 94 load rating is good for 1477 pounds and the 95 load rating is good for 1521 pounds.

Edit: To understand what the numbers mean, for a 215/60 R16 94V tire, the 215 is the width (in mm) of the tread, the 60 refers to the ratio of the height of the sidewall in relation to the tread width. In this case the side wall is 60% of the tread width or 130mm. The "R" indicates a radial construction tire, the 16 is the wheel diameter in inches, the 94 is the load rating and the V indicated the speed rating. You can also tell the date the tire was made by looking at the DOT code on the sidewall you will see a number like this : DOT U2LL LMLR 5111. The last 4 digits of that number indicate the week and year the tire was made in this case, and the first two indicate the week in that year (51) that the tire was made and the last two indicate the year (2011). Never buy a tire more than 9 or 12 months old unless you have no other choice as all tires age crack but if you buy one that has been sitting in the warehouse for 2 years, they will start cracking sooner than a newer tire.

As far as tires go, I just put on a set of Michelin Primacy MXV4 plus about 6 weeks ago.
thanks for the info,
I just ordered the Bridgestone Turanza Serenity Plus 215/60R16 95V 4 shipped to an INSTALLER for $547 shipped. each tire at tirerack was more than $30 cheaper than the original sale price.

based on recommendation and just 2 reviews. they are fantastic tire.
this is an upgrade from the older model SERENITY, released in late june 2012. Hope I don't get ripped off at the local installer (MIDAS)

Old 08-22-2012, 01:13 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

The new Turanza Serenity Plus may be a good choice of tire. I see only 3 tire rack customers reporting it as a great tire. Each has driven their tires only 300 miles. Not much to go on with almost no wear on a new set of tires. I did notice these tires all have the low rolling resistance feature. It will be interesting to later after 10K miles find out how the Serenity Plus compares to the LRR leader, michelin.

I did notice on tire rack that your tires may show a 51 psi max pressure. Be sure to check your sidewall and see if it's 51psi, you may want to run at least 40 psi cold in them tested after dark. You tires should be near broke in at 300/350 miles. You might then judge the ride and steering you like best by adjusting the tire pressures.

Old 08-22-2012, 08:15 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by rburt07
The new Turanza Serenity Plus may be a good choice of tire. I see only 3 tire rack customers reporting it as a great tire. Each has driven their tires only 300 miles. Not much to go on with almost no wear on a new set of tires. I did notice these tires all have the low rolling resistance feature. It will be interesting to later after 10K miles find out how the Serenity Plus compares to the LRR leader, michelin. I did notice on tire rack that your tires may show a 51 psi max pressure. Be sure to check your sidewall and see if it's 51psi, you may want to run at least 40 psi cold in them tested after dark. You tires should be near broke in at 300/350 miles. You might then judge the ride and steering you like best by adjusting the tire pressures.
If you put in the tire size of 215, 60, 16, you will see a good comparison of the Bridgestone offerings at the link below:

Bridgestone Search by Tire Size

The Plus is rated by Bridgestone to be identical to the non Plus model, except for tread life. Non Plus is a 9, while the Plus is a 10. However keep in mind that Consumer Reports rated the tread life of the non Plus as only fair. Doesn't really sound like a 9? Also, Bridgestone rates them both as a 7 for rolling resistance. Consumer Reports gave the non Plus version only a fair for rolling resistance. I don't believe either model is a real low rolling resistance model. The Bridgestone Ecopia is their low rolling resistance model. However, it suffers on comfort, traction, noise, and tread wear to get that lower rolling resistance, which Bridgestone rates as a 10.

Old 08-22-2012, 12:20 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I haven't checked in the last couple of years when I used to compare the LRR ratings of the new tires back then.

I remember the michelin 'energy saver' tires was tops at 8% gas savings over the years. I would now consider it as a older designed tire compared to the popular primacy or the new defender.

The runner up was the lower priced Goodyear fuel max tire at 6% gas savings.

I forget the other two brands, but their LRR was rather low at 3% and 4% gas savings.

I'm sure lots of that has changed due to the improved rubber compounds and tread designs in use today. Just like the newer michelin tires ability to stop 23 feet quicker in the wet braking test on their test track.

I think it was October of 2009 I bought a set of the energy savers to replace the oem's on my '07 TCH. These were the tires I got my first 803 mile tank of gas once I had the tires broke in. I think the primacy's may be even better.

Note the 8 foot shorter stopping distance over the 23 feet of today's tire from this older site below..

http://www.michelinman.com/tire-sele...s/tire-details

Last edited by rburt07; 08-22-2012 at 12:26 PM.
Old 08-22-2012, 01:14 PM
Active Enthusiast

The only independent reliable source of rolling resistance measurements I've been able to find is Consumer Reports. They actually test the tires, but only give them a qualitative rating of Poor to Excellent, with no estimate of savings of fuel.

Where are you getting test results?

Old 08-22-2012, 03:22 PM
Active Enthusiast

I just had 4 tire installed at (MIDAS) shipped from tirerack. they are bridgestone serinity plus. Took 3 hrs wait. They just installed it 2 & half hrs after I came in. I don't know what kind of Balancing if anything was done cos after 2 and half hrs they quickly installed it in 30 mins. I still see the LOW TIRE PRESSURE WARNING light , told the guy and he says it will go off when I drive it but drove 5 miles and still see it. Is it normal?

I paid $80 for 4 tires installed/balanced, includes, VALVE STEMS, TPMS. I still don't know if they actually balanced it, and also don't know about the TPMS.

Old 08-22-2012, 06:07 PM
Super Moderator

Jimmy,

Inside your glovebox on the left side is the reset button for the TMPS sensor. You really need to check the air pressure in your tires however as yours is probably set to 40 psi or so and more than likely, they only put 32 psi in your tires. By the way, they didn't replace your valve stems, just the little 30 cent cores.

Old 08-22-2012, 08:13 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by GeorgiaHybrid
Jimmy,

Inside your glovebox on the left side is the reset button for the TMPS sensor. You really need to check the air pressure in your tires however as yours is probably set to 40 psi or so and more than likely, they only put 32 psi in your tires. By the way, they didn't replace your valve stems, just the little 30 cent cores.
so they lied to me about the (LOW TIRE PRESSURE LIGHT disappearing itself after sometime on the road?

I paid 2$ for each VALVE STEM and 6$ for each TPMS and $48 for 4 tire installed.

I just want to make sure that did the job they are paid for, if not I am gonna go there and complain about this.

In the receipt, it says I should come there after 50 miles to make sure everything is done correctly according to factory recommendation or something. looks like its their trick to attempt to scam me for future visit?

Last edited by jimmy1; 08-22-2012 at 08:21 PM.
Old 08-22-2012, 10:30 PM
Enthusiast

Hi Jimmy , I am Michael, an a certified Master tire technician. first thing if the "Michigan" tire ( that,s what the senior folks on down here in the south call them) , have good tread on them about 6/32" and the cracks are like spider webbs and not deep, the tire are ok . The cracks or spider webbs are a result of chemicals being use on the tires . Michelins tire use higher percentage silica to rubber in their tires that part of the reason for the cracks. Sam's Club also as a great deal on michelin tire and there lifetime rotation and balance plus four year road hazard warranty with roadside assit. is good. i would also recommend changing your TPMS(tire pressure monitoring system) valves . that is if yours sensor in at the valve ( some are in the ABS system.) Check your door for the right tire spec. and there are usually more Sams than costco if you travel and have a warranty issue. All the best

Old 08-22-2012, 10:46 PM
Enthusiast

Jimmy i see that some have adviced that you can use the H rating. since you don't will not be going up to 130 mph. That information is very common but accurate. The reason for using the higher speed rating is for greater stability and control on cornering or steering from side to side . As the walls of the tire are tighter have less flexing . Overall you will have better handling of the car . But the H rating are usually little cheaper . if possible I recommended staying with factory spec.

Quick Reply: what tires should I get for my 07 camry hybrid?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands