Whats that Servo Sound behind the Speedometer

Old 12-26-2007, 08:56 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Whats that Servo Sound behind the Speedometer

Anybody know what the servo sound is behind the speedometer. I notice it occurs after shutting off the engine for the night. It seems to be delayed a few seconds after your press the power button for the engine to shut down.

The other I found after engine shutoff is a loud servo sound under the hood. Its coming from the metal ABS box where the brake lines connect to it. This is located next to the fender, behind the engine area of the passenger side headlamp. My guess is it may be some sort of fluid pressure bleed off.

Old 12-26-2007, 10:06 PM
Camry Freak
Default Re: Whats that Servo Sound behind the Speedometer

I'm not exactly sure what it is, but most of those sounds are normal. (At least according to the manual)

Old 12-26-2007, 10:19 PM

Near everything on the car is all electric except maybe for the engine. I just enjoy knowing what each noise is although it's normal.

Old 12-27-2007, 04:13 AM
Keeping Toyota Solvent

Originally Posted by rburt07
Anybody know what the servo sound is behind the speedometer. I notice it occurs after shutting off the engine for the night. ...
Steering Wheel Lock solenoid?

Last edited by schmidtj; 12-27-2007 at 06:13 AM.
Old 12-27-2007, 04:22 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

The noise you hear under the hood is a relay, that turns on a vacuum pump, i believe. It usually comes on after 15-30 seconds after you turn the ignition off. I think it has to do with the gas tank vapor system. The reason that the TCH is an AT-PZEV is partly because the gas tank is sealed and will not allow any vapor to escape into the atmposhere. That system allows the TCH to eliminate the vapors........or substantially reduce them.

Old 12-27-2007, 09:45 AM
SPL

The electric motor noise coming from the steering column area when you open the driver's door after switching the car OFF is the steering column lock operating. The assorted electric motor noises from under the hood a minute or so after switching OFF is, I believe, the brake system de-pressurizing. The power (friction) brakes use a reservoir of pressurized hydraulic brake fluid, and this pressure is relieved shortly after switch-off. Fuel tank pressure checking doesn't occur until many hours (9 if I recall correctly) after switch-off.

Stan

Last edited by SPL; 12-27-2007 at 10:05 AM.
Old 12-27-2007, 10:47 PM

Your right about the dash servo. I started the car and put it in gear. The servo noise came on and I saw the steering wheel move about 1 inch. So now I now the servo behind the speedometer is locking and unlocking the steering wheel.