When do you do your first oil change?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2008, 06:28 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default When do you do your first oil change?

At what mileage do you change your oil?

Old 01-11-2008, 06:40 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: When do you do your first oil change?

There has been discussion on this as well.

Some people feel after the first 1000 is needed, others like to stick to 3000, most go with the factory recommended 5000 and a few have had their oil tested and discovered in their climate and situation they can go well past 10000.

I change mine at the recommended interval (5000) and use Mobile 1 0w-20 full synth with Mobile 1 filter.

The use of synthetic vs. traditional dino oil has also been widely discussed with no ultimate winner -- use what you want (0-20 will always be synthetic I think).

Last edited by mikieboyblue; 01-11-2008 at 06:54 AM.
Old 01-11-2008, 06:53 AM

I think the best advise is to pay attention to the manual...which has it at 5000

Old 01-11-2008, 06:56 AM

Originally Posted by mikieboyblue;
.... traditional dino oil ....
Duh! I'm such an idiot.
After reading hundreds of posts, I could not figure out what dino oil was (I googled it, too!).
Dino...as in dinosaur oil...gosh, that reference was a bit too obscure for me!
Thanks for helping me figure it out!

This one is going in to my New Owner's FAQ since, I assume, I'm not the only one that got caught on that one!

Old 01-11-2008, 06:59 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by haroldo
I think the best advise is to pay attention to the manual...which has it at 5000
Yeah--and I will point out that my dealer still insists on putting stickers on the car telling me to come back for my next change at 3000 miles. Think they have a vested interest in increasing the frequency of visits? Somehow I think I'll go with the recommendation of the people who designed and built the car (5000 miles) rather than the people who want my money every 3 months instead of 6.

Old 01-11-2008, 06:59 AM

Duh! I'm such an idiot.
After reading hundreds of posts, I could not figure out what dino oil was (I googled it, too!).
Thanks for helping me figure it out!

This one is going in to my New Owner's FAQ since, I assume, I'm not the only one that got caught on that one!
LOL

You're welcome.

Old 01-11-2008, 07:03 AM

Originally Posted by chestr
Yeah--and I will point out that my dealer still insists on putting stickers on the car telling me to come back for my next change at 3000 miles. Think they have a vested interest in increasing the frequency of visits? Somehow I think I'll go with the recommendation of the people who designed and built the car (5000 miles) rather than the people who want my money every 3 months instead of 6.
I don't trust dealer's service station. They are a big profit center and always recommend more aggressive (and costly) service then needed. Many consumers assume that the dealer has a special understanding of the car (many threads here dispove this!). In addition, I've heard many people say "I go to the dealer to do the oil change since I don't want to void the warranty").

Old 01-11-2008, 07:19 AM

I don't trust dealer's service station. They are a big profit center and always recommend more aggressive (and costly) service then needed. Many consumers assume that the dealer has a special understanding of the car (many threads here dispove this!). In addition, I've heard many people say "I go to the dealer to do the oil change since I don't want to void the warranty").
I go for the tire rotation just to have it here but my dealership's service sucks. I had gone in because the molding on the rear driver side door was coming off and they tried to not fix it because they claimed my car was in an accident and they could see over spray from paint. I do not know what garbage that was.

Old 01-11-2008, 07:42 AM
Active Enthusiast

Duh! I'm such an idiot.
The irony of this is that many oils labeled "synthetic" contain some "dino" oil or are refined from "dino" oil.

Old 01-11-2008, 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by talmy
The irony of this is that many oils labeled "synthetic" contain some "dino" oil or are refined from "dino" oil.
I dinos!