When to replace shocks/struts?

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2016, 02:51 AM
Enthusiast
Default When to replace shocks/struts?

Hello,

Car has 171k on it. When should these be replaced?

Old 08-28-2016, 07:55 PM
Super Moderator
Default Re: When to replace shocks/struts?

LOL, most of us replaced them around the 100K to 120K mark at the latest. Some repleced them after just 50K.

Old 08-29-2016, 12:00 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Can you tell from the ride? My local Firestone oil change center (where they try desperately to upsell) has been complaining about leaking struts for 3 years...but the car rides smoothly (80m miles)

Old 08-30-2016, 01:18 PM
Super Moderator

Typically, clean the strut and then watch for an oil leak down the side of the strut. If they are real bad, you can "bounce" one end of the car by hand. If it comes back up and stops, you will need to look a little closer. If it bounces up and down a couple of times before stopping, they definitely need to be replaced.

Want a quick way to see if you have oil on the strut if you can't see it? Blow a little flour from the kitchen on the strut. If will stick an any oily surface.

Last edited by GeorgiaHybrid; 08-30-2016 at 01:27 PM.
Old 09-01-2016, 06:44 PM
Professor Emeritus

They're due. I can tell you. I have been putting it off for over 100,000 miles. I should have done them around 150,000.

No noticeable leaks anywhere on ours and it passes the bounce test fine. BUT, the car just handles bad now. It's hard to describe and it's not worn steering components. It is completely associated by how the car moves up and down on the highway. In the past 20,000 miles it has become increasingly worse. I still think I'm going to keep this crazy car! LOL! So, I'm going to replace them. The car has been so good, it's worth it.

Our car sees mostly highway miles, so we have really gotten the most out of just about everything. At 249,000 miles I can say that the front struts are for sure "due for changing" based on ride quality. It's not really a safety issue. Just not what I'm used too. And I have become "too used to it". I'm honestly not sure about the rear. But, I plan to replace them all when I do it.

If you plan to replace them, I recommend using the "Strut Plus" method or "Quick Strut" method depending on the strut manufacturer. That way you get new strut bearings, spring seats, springs, etc.... I also plan to replace the sway bar end links at the same time. The rest of the suspension looks pretty good. Amazing honestly. Hard to believe.

Yea.... I'm long winded. Anyway... You CAN go longer, but it really does depend on how you've used the car. Chances are they're bad or about to be gone.

FWIW.... I also have 249,000 miles on the original rotors and pads and they don't need changing anytime soon.

Old 09-01-2016, 06:47 PM
Professor Emeritus

Originally Posted by GeorgiaHybrid
Want a quick way to see if you have oil on the strut if you can't see it? Blow a little flour from the kitchen on the strut. If will stick an any oily surface.
Ha! That's a great idea... Thanks for sharing!

Old 09-29-2016, 05:27 AM
JOAT, master of none

I just sold my '07 Camry with 181k, it had original struts. Now that I have my TCH, I'm loving the ride difference. I also had a Tacoma with 175k and original struts. My wife has a Camry with 92k that I put new struts on it at 80k when a coil spring broke.

You can go many miles on OEM struts if you care to, as long as they don't leak. On the other hand, you will have a more pleasurable ride if you change them, my suggestion would be at 100-125k. One major piece of advice ..... DO NOT BUY Monroe Quick struts if you do replace them. Out of the box they are GARBAGE! The top bearing plates are trash and they come loose, make noise, and clunk. If you must, reuse the OEM bearing plates on the Monroe struts and you'll be OK.

Old 09-29-2016, 06:23 AM
Professor Emeritus

Originally Posted by hotrod53
I just sold my '07 Camry with 181k, it had original struts. Now that I have my TCH, I'm loving the ride difference. I also had a Tacoma with 175k and original struts. My wife has a Camry with 92k that I put new struts on it at 80k when a coil spring broke.

You can go many miles on OEM struts if you care to, as long as they don't leak. On the other hand, you will have a more pleasurable ride if you change them, my suggestion would be at 100-125k. One major piece of advice ..... DO NOT BUY Monroe Quick struts if you do replace them. Out of the box they are GARBAGE! The top bearing plates are trash and they come loose, make noise, and clunk. If you must, reuse the OEM bearing plates on the Monroe struts and you'll be OK.
Wow. That is the first time I have heard of a coil spring snapping like that on a Camry? Is it an older one?

Yea. I have 250,000 miles on my original struts and they're toast. I keep putting it off. I had looked at the Monroes and was considering those or the KYB's. Based on what you said and what I have read elsewhere, I now plan to use KYB's "Strut Plus" as replacements. Hopefully they will not have that bearing issue.

Old 09-29-2016, 07:12 AM
JOAT, master of none

It is a '06 Camry. I think it was related to two things, it was one of those freak winter days that was below zero, and a wife that has the tendency to hit every pothole on the planet. Super cold + pothole is my assumption. The top turn in the coil snapped off and was laying in the top strut tray rattling around.

Old 09-29-2016, 07:50 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Really? I am riding on Monroe QS for over 2 years by now. They do just fine. Ride is very comfortable. Though, next set, I'll do KYB equivalent to MQS, as KYB it OEM Toyota strut.