Electric Vehicle Forums

Electric Vehicle Forums (/forums/)
-   Toyota Camry Hybrid (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/toyota-camry-hybrid-49/)
-   -   Where can I purchase 12V battery for 07 TCH? (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/toyota-camry-hybrid-49/where-can-i-purchase-12v-battery-07-tch-31686/)

jimmy1 09-06-2018 05:30 PM

Where can I purchase 12V battery for 07 TCH?

I am looking for the 12V battery replacement but I don't know where to get it. I am sure Toyota Dealer has it but I try not to set foot there cos they are a huge rip off! Googled 12V battery but doesn't show any stores, also not online store that sells this. The independent auto shop I went to replied to me they don't have this.

Tying to be safe cos my car is 12 years old , 47k miles, and maybe I can wait for hybrid battery and change the 12V battery soon. BTW I found some replacement hybrid battery info online here https://greenbeanbattery.com/camry-h...y-replacement/.
I am not DIY.

Thanks

hybrid veggie 09-07-2018 11:59 AM

Re: Where can I purchase 12V battery for 07 TCH?

Hi Jimmy -

After considerable research I bought a Optima yellow top from Amazon, model 8040-218 D35. (link below). 2009 Camry Hybrid, battery purchased Nov. 2017.

The fit was perfect - there are a couple plastic pieces that come with it if I recall, one is a tray that fits the bottom of the battery. Whether I used the tray or took the tray off I don't remember but it like a glove: width, length, and height.

It does not have a vent tube but, from everything I read, venting is not a problem where the battery is located in this car. You will also need to pry the temperature sensor off the old battery and fix it onto the new battery somehow but that is a minor issue.

The battery does have to be installed with the posts in back next to the fender but the cables reached the posts easily.

jimmy1 09-07-2018 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by hybrid veggie (Post 266343)
Hi Jimmy -

After considerable research I bought a Optima yellow top from Amazon, model 8040-218 D35. (link below). 2009 Camry Hybrid, battery purchased Nov. 2017.

amazon optima

The fit was perfect - there are a couple plastic pieces that come with it if I recall, one is a tray that fits the bottom of the battery. Whether I used the tray or took the tray off I don't remember but it like a glove: width, length, and height.

It does not have a vent tube but, from everything I read, venting is not a problem where the battery is located in this car. You will also need to pry the temperature sensor off the old battery and fix it onto the new battery somehow but that is a minor issue.

The battery does have to be installed with the posts in back next to the fender but the cables reached the posts easily.

Found it. . Any independent auto mechanic shop can install this right? Labor intensive? My 07TCH runs fine, no issue with starting or power. Should I also prepare to replace the hybrid battery?

jimmy1 09-08-2018 11:56 PM

Originally Posted by hybrid veggie (Post 266343)
Hi Jimmy -

amazon optima

I went to Autozone store and bought yellow optima D35 battery. They wouldn't install it cos it's hybrid car. Went to independent auto mechanic shop. They installed this but it says" check hybrid battery" or some warning on light. The mechanic said the original battery shows a sensor but not on the yellow optima , also the yellow optima is much smaller then the original panasonic battery. I had to pay again to remove it and put back the original Panasonic battery, return the yellow optima battery at Auto zone for refund. WASTED $40 labor cost for removing and reinstalling my own battery. HEADACHE! FAIL! SAD!

Where can I buy the original Panasonic battery for the 2007 camry hybrid? If I can order online, i will buy one and take it to an auto mechanic shop for installation. Pls give me the link for the original battery

swechsler 09-09-2018 11:59 AM

I installed an Exide AGM battery in my 07 last year. Purchased from Amazon, but looks like they don't carry it any more (Check RockAuto, they appear to have several Exide AGM models). It was a an exact fit, right down to the hole for the venting tube. Had to remove the heat sensor from the old battery and tape it to the new one, but overall it was a pretty straightforward installation, although I did take my time relative to a regular battery install. The system hasn't thrown any errors with it.

Pete4 09-09-2018 12:23 PM

Here is one
https://parts.westcoasttoyotalb.com/...SABEgJOP_D_BwE
But is your battery really shot, that you need new one? This is not ordinary car needing 200-600 amps to crank the engine, Camry hybrid only needs 10-15 amps to start up, you can easily get that from small 12v alarm backup battery, or RC car battery pack as long as it's 12v..
Also when your mechanic replaced the battery with Optima, did he removed from old and attached to new battery temp sensor, as somebody already mentioned to do so in previous post? Cars computer can not tell the difference between batteries and the only time it would show error is if sensor wasn't connected or new battery wasn't charged, either issue is very easily fixed by anybody having any experience with Toyota hybrid car. There are smaller and cheaper batteries (half the price) for Prius or RAV4 hybrid, they should come with temp sensor and vent connector and being smaller they should fit, maybe with small mount modification, but I have no personal experience, since my original, 12 year old battery is still going strong.

jimmy1 09-09-2018 10:02 PM

Originally Posted by Pete4 (Post 266357)
Here is one
https://parts.westcoasttoyotalb.com/p/Toyota__Camry/BATTERY/63128553/2880028061.html?partner=googlebase_adwords_mainten ance_color_make_model&kwd=&origin=pla&gclid=EAIaIQ obChMIlL3P5cuu3QIVkYuzCh2v_g0AEAQYASABEgJOP_D_BwE
But is your battery really shot, that you need new one? This is not ordinary car needing 200-600 amps to crank the engine, Camry hybrid only needs 10-15 amps to start up, you can easily get that from small 12v alarm backup battery, or RC car battery pack as long as it's 12v..
Also when your mechanic replaced the battery with Optima, did he removed from old and attached to new battery temp sensor, as somebody already mentioned to do so in previous post? Cars computer can not tell the difference between batteries and the only time it would show error is if sensor wasn't connected or new battery wasn't charged, either issue is very easily fixed by anybody having any experience with Toyota hybrid car. There are smaller and cheaper batteries (half the price) for Prius or RAV4 hybrid, they should come with temp sensor and vent connector and being smaller they should fit, maybe with small mount modification, but I have no personal experience, since my original, 12 year old battery is still going strong.

I have been reading various Toyota camry hybrid posts on different forums and many are talking about replacing the 12V after 5 years or after 40K miles. Mine is 12 years old with 47K miles. I have a special needs child so it will be bad experience if I am stuck somewhere with my child in the car. I am hoping to change it before the winter this year.
Anyway, What a headache this is! Seems like the mechanic didn't know he has to transfer the sensor from original to the replacement battery.The mechanic was saying the original battery has this" sensor" and not on the yellow top replacement part blah blah and that the Yellow Top Optima D35 isn't the right one etc. He didn't transfer the sensor or anything. Just installed the new one and the car when I started showed" check hybrid system". I apologized to the mechanic and the shop owner for the inconveinence and they said they were gonna charge me $100 for doing this back and forth. I pleaded and they charged me $40 for putting my old original battery back in. I returned the yellow top back to Autozone shop for full refund.

I will just call Toyota dealer around me for best price. They wanted $350 before tax for battery and $190 for labor. It is sickening and I don't have money but I have no choice. The auto mechanic shop don't seem to know how to do this properly so I have no choice but to go to Toyota dealer.
The battery shops wouldn't even touch my car for being a hybrid. I can order from your link but where do I go then? The regular auto mechanic shops? They didn't know how to do this so I am stuck with the Toyota dealer shops which are all RIP OFFs.

Thanks

paulgoh 09-09-2018 10:16 PM

You should consider doing it yourself to save money, watch this video, it doesn't seem difficult at all:

hybrid veggie 09-10-2018 06:36 AM

Sorry you had trouble with the Optima D35. My hybrid is a 2008 which should be identical to the 2007. The D35 required no alterations or adjustments to fit into the tray perfectly. I have been using it for a year now with zero issues.

Makes me think that the installers didn't know what they are doing. If they didn't re-attach the temperature sensor you might get a warning light right there. I just pried the old temperature sensor off the original battery, stuck it the to Optima (probably used hot melt), and covered it with high-quality duct tape for insurance.

jimmy1 09-10-2018 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by paulgoh (Post 266362)
You should consider doing it yourself to save money, watch this video, it doesn't seem difficult at all:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PzvGSapTfJY

Thanks but I am not DYI, suck at it! **** it that mechanic should have known to transfer the sensor to the yellow optima.
If I buy the original one, no sensor transfers needed right? Easier to install? Maybe I will buy the original online for delivery to me and take it to mechanic shop for installation.