Where do you go for an oil change?

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2007, 06:18 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Where do you go for an oil change?

I do some DIY repairs, but draw the line at changing my oil (or anything else that requires GoJo to clean my hands).
I've been taking my cars to Firestone for years, but I know that they don't service hybrids. They are the cheapest, and if you can avoid their (incredibly overpriced) recommended repairs you can be in and out painlessly.
I typically go out of my way to avoid dealer service (I don't trust them).
Where do you go to change your oil?
Are there any chains (Jiffy Lube, etc.) that will service hybrids?
Thanks!

Old 12-16-2007, 09:39 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Where do you go for an oil change?

I used Midas for one oil change. I'm not sure about your TCH but my HCH takes 3.4 qts. Good luck getting them to get that right. I just do my own or have my favorite mchanic friend do it for me. Do you have any reputable independent mechanics that will use the right oil, etc and pay attention to what they are doing?

Old 12-16-2007, 09:49 AM

I went to a Valvoline and brought my own filter and oil. I did this because the original filter was on so tight I could not get it off no matter what tool I used (of course I discovered this after the oil was drained ).

Normally, I would change the oil myself as long as the weather is not bad.

Old 12-16-2007, 03:25 PM
Active Enthusiast

Check my thread from yesterday....

https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/...ch-fire-16385/

Old 12-17-2007, 05:04 AM

My driveway.

Old 12-17-2007, 05:11 AM

Originally Posted by mikieboyblue
I went to a Valvoline and brought my own filter and oil. I did this because the original filter was on so tight I could not get it off no matter what tool I used (of course I discovered this after the oil was drained ).

Normally, I would change the oil myself as long as the weather is not bad.
Toyota has done this since forever! I think they use an impact gun to put those factory oil filters on. My Camry filter was so tight that even the filter wrench slipped.

Two things that work:

First, raise the F/R corner of the car. Pull the wheel off and peel back the wheel-well splash covers so you can get at it from the side and not from underneath. Then....

1. An over-sized pair of Channel-Lock pliers. Just crush into the filter wall a bit and turn.

2. As a last (MESSY) resort, one could drive a 10 inch long, #2 phillips screwdriver all the way through the middle of the filter and twist.

WARNING... Sometimes the gasket is stuck to the engine block. If you don't notice this and spin the new filter/gasket on top of the old one, you will lose all your oil in the street within 2 minutes of start up.

Old 12-17-2007, 07:14 AM

I've seen a few posts discussing a specific quantity of oil to add.
I'm not a mechanic, but like to know...
Is there something wrong with putting in too much oil?
Don't the garages or oil change shops already know this?

Old 12-17-2007, 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by McGyver
Toyota has done this since forever! I think they use an impact gun to put those factory oil filters on. My Camry filter was so tight that even the filter wrench slipped.

Two things that work:

First, raise the F/R corner of the car. Pull the wheel off and peel back the wheel-well splash covers so you can get at it from the side and not from underneath. Then....

1. An over-sized pair of Channel-Lock pliers. Just crush into the filter wall a bit and turn.

2. As a last (MESSY) resort, one could drive a 10 inch long, #2 phillips screwdriver all the way through the middle of the filter and twist.

WARNING... Sometimes the gasket is stuck to the engine block. If you don't notice this and spin the new filter/gasket on top of the old one, you will lose all your oil in the street within 2 minutes of start up.
Thanks. Problem was that I had already drained the oil and had no other transportation. Luckily I had some old 10-30 sitting around and was able to put that back in and drove to the shop.

This new one is in hand tight and I should be able to get it off. If not, the tips you mentioned will be helpful.

Thanks!
Mike

Old 12-17-2007, 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by haroldo
I've seen a few posts discussing a specific quantity of oil to add.
I'm not a mechanic, but like to know...
Is there something wrong with putting in too much oil?
Don't the garages or oil change shops already know this?
I am no mechanic, but as far as I know, too much oil can cause damage as the pressure would be high.

When I had my last oil change it took about 4 quarts (a little more than that). Just pour four in, put the cap back on, start the engine for a minute, shut the car off, and check the oil. If the dip-stick says full, you are good to go. If not, add more until it says full and then you are good to go.

Mike

Old 12-17-2007, 11:24 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by McGyver

Two things that work:

This an age old problem, it is caused by the rubber seal sticking to filter and engine block. The age old cure is to take a 10" peice of 2x4 and a BFH, put the 2x4 on the side of the filter and give it a good crack with the BFH and you can screw if off by hand. PS when reinstalling the filter use anti-seize on the rubber gasket.

Quick Reply: Where do you go for an oil change?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands