Where do you put your XM antenna ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2011, 08:34 PM
Enthusiast
Default Where do you put your XM antenna ?

I installed my Nav Radio in my 2008 Camry and also installed a XM Satellite Radio add on. I put the antenna on the inside of the car next to the front windshield ,but I'm having some in and out reception issues.Do any of you put the antenna on the outside of the windshield? Thanks for your input..

Old 07-13-2011, 02:02 AM
Pragmatist
Default Re: Where do you put your XM antenna ?

Reduced reception due to the metals in the glass is a known issue of that interior mounting position.

My antenna is on the roof, a few inches in in front of the rear window. No problem with reception, except of course when a bridge or tunnel gets in the way. The low-profile antenna kits are inexpensive at amazon. The wire fits into the groove behind the rubber weatherstrip, around the window, and exits under the trunk lid. From there, it runs behind the upholstery and trim to the radio under the front passenger chair.

Some people put them on the top of the trunk lid, instead of the roof. Easier install, but I would think the reception might suffer when the satellite is low in the sky, in front of the car.

I wouldn't want to put it outside the windshield. There's a lot of wind right there. The rear of the car is less windy.

Old 07-13-2011, 06:33 PM
Active Enthusiast

Te "factory" XM kit has the unit behind the trim cover just above the 12 v battery.There is a cable that goes to the head unit. The "factory" install job has the antenna on the rear deck, just beside the 3rd brake light. Some have put it on a piece of metal under the rear parcel shelf, but there are reception problems. The best solution is to put it about 1 inch ahead of the top of the rear glass, centered. You have to sort of 'weasel' it in the weatherstripping to keep it secure, but it's doable, if you're patient.

Old 07-13-2011, 07:02 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Some drop-out of signal is unavoidable, I think. We've had the service for a few weeks now, and with the amount of down time it might be a deal breaker, come renewal time. Anything large and in the way can disrupt the signal. Also, it seems to me outlying areas are more drop-out prone.

BTW, regarding renewal, you might want to check if your subscription is set to auto-renew, ie: if you have a yearly subscription, even if you don't contact them, they will automatically bill your credit card for another year, at the twelve month anniversary date. At least that was what was spelled out in the contract they emailed me. It is possible to phone them up, and get that stopped. Instead they will mail you an invoice reminder. At least so they claim...

Last edited by Mendel Leisk; 07-13-2011 at 08:05 PM.
Old 07-14-2011, 11:31 AM
Active Enthusiast

Mine is on the trunk lid in front of the window brake light. Has worked good for four years. I've not noticed any significant loss of signal. It rarely happens and is probably more a factor of my location and satelite location than having antenna on the trunk.

John

Old 07-18-2011, 08:27 PM
Enthusiast

Thanks to everybody that has weighed in ....