Where to put jack stands?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2011, 02:25 PM
Professor Emeritus
Default Where to put jack stands?

I searched and could not find any good pics or info. I want to get the car off the ground. I can see where the "floor jack points" are in the front and rear. That is obvious.

Where are you guys putting the jack stands after you get the car in the air? I don't want to damage the frame/body.

Old 04-12-2011, 05:17 AM
Engineering Professor
Default Re: Where to put jack stands?

Originally Posted by litespeed
I searched and could not find any good pics or info. I want to get the car off the ground. I can see where the "floor jack points" are in the front and rear. That is obvious.

Where are you guys putting the jack stands after you get the car in the air? I don't want to damage the frame/body.
If you make a cushion out of a piece of wood that has a slot for the flap of metal, you can safely put either the jack or the jack stand anywhere near the marked position.

JeffD

Old 04-12-2011, 05:43 PM
Professor Emeritus

Are you talking about the "marked position" on the pinch welds? I'm not a big fan of using jack stands in those areas.

I saw a detailed thread on where someone replaced their struts. It looked like the jack stands were farther in.

I just wanted to rotate my tires. I just used the spare tire to do it using the jacking points in the center of the vehicle. I just had to jack it 4 times to get it done.

I still would like to know the safe places for future reference.

Old 04-12-2011, 07:45 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I raise the front of the car with the front central point, the put safety stands at those two front scissor jack points, the marked points at the bottom edge of rocker panel. Then repeat with rear.