Where'd the U/A Problem Go?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2010, 07:37 AM
lzc
Active Enthusiast
Default Where'd the U/A Problem Go?

It was only a few months ago that Toyotas were plagued by reports of cars accelerating out of control. What happened?

Toyota's fix--rework the floor mats, trim accelerator pedal, and add a shim to prevent it from sticking--were all derided as no fix at all. The problem, the media repeatedly said, was a flaw somewhere in the car's electronic system, a ghost in the machine. At least two electrical engineering professors were breathlessly featured on TV has having discovered flaws in Toyota electronics.

Now, we hear nothing. No reports of incidents of unintended acceleration, nor that the problem was fixed.

Was the problem fixed? Did the media just lose interest?

Old 06-19-2010, 08:01 AM
Malcontent
Default Re: Where'd the U/A Problem Go?

Maybe the people who had trouble distinguishing between the gas and brake pedals were victims of natural selection.

Old 06-19-2010, 09:31 AM
Happy 07 TCH Owner

Great answer Eric!

Old 06-19-2010, 04:14 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

The first rule of modern day politicians...find someone to bash over the head...it makes you look good.
Congress and the President found a new set of whipping boys...Goldman Sachs and BP.

Never forget UA had nothing to do with the car, it was a smokescreen to destroy a successful non-union manufacturer and promote the domestic (owned) companies.

Old 06-19-2010, 05:55 PM
Super Moderator

A lot of people seemed to have a problem until it came out the Toyota could read the computer in the car after the fact due to a couple of highly reported cases. It seemed that the BS owners went into hiding after that......

Old 06-19-2010, 07:54 PM
lzc
Active Enthusiast

My, this is a skeptical group!

The steam seemed to be let out of the media hysteria after the California Prius driver was exposed as an obvious fraud. For sure, not all were fraudulent events. Some people confused gas and brake pedals; others misused floor mats. Beyond that, it's tough to see a real problem. Meanwhile, Toyota is out a lot of money.

And the media just dropped the issue . . . with no credible resolution.

Old 06-19-2010, 09:08 PM

Then how do you explain the death of the Saylor family...??

Old 06-20-2010, 02:57 AM

Originally Posted by wwest
Then how do you explain the death of the Saylor family...??
That's the one where the E350 loaner Lexus became a run away. This is while his Lexus IS 250 was being repaired.
This was the incident was the one of the dealer's workers put in a extra thick mat on top of the thick oem mat. The extra mat or both mats was supposed to have been the culprit that caused the run-away.

Old 06-20-2010, 03:35 AM

Originally Posted by lzc

Toyota's fix--rework the floor mats, trim accelerator pedal, and add a shim to prevent it from sticking--were all derided as no fix at all. The problem, the media repeatedly said, was a flaw somewhere in the car's electronic system, a ghost in the machine. At least two electrical engineering professors were breathlessly featured on TV has having discovered flaws in Toyota electronics.

Now, we hear nothing. No reports of incidents of unintended acceleration, nor that the problem was fixed.

Was the problem fixed? Did the media just lose interest?
I don't remember hearing of any ECU problems when testing for the stuck throttle problem. Toyota ran all kinds of test, noise, interference, magnet induction on their ECU and could not cause any failures or stuck throttles. I understand the digital ECU has backups for each circuit. If any fail, it switches to a backup without any digital interruption. Toyota put heavy noise and static into each circuit to see if it would fail. I understand all the test passed.

I don't remember toyota ever mentioning anything needing done on their electronics or ECU for the suspect cars.

Last edited by rburt07; 06-20-2010 at 03:43 AM.
Old 06-20-2010, 08:07 AM
lzc
Active Enthusiast

>>I don't remember toyota ever mentioning anything needing done on their electronics . . .

Nor do I. But others dismissed Toyota's fixes as not likely to stop the problem and said an electronic glitch was the culprit.

Quick Reply: Where'd the U/A Problem Go?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands