Who bought the Toyota Service Contract?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2006, 05:24 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Who bought the Toyota Service Contract?

I bought the Toyota Service Contract for my TCH. Anyone else buy it or have any opinions?

Here are some of the details:
  • My cost: $1095
  • Covers every 5K service thru 55K
  • 8 minor service (oil, tire rotation, inspections)
  • 3 major service at 15k, 30k, and 45k
  • Must be used at a Toyota dealer
  • Roadside assistance
  • Can be transferred to a new owner
I have a very good local Toyota dealer so I would like to use them for all service in any case. I'm not sure that I will save money -- it seems like it is probably a wash. I do like the idea that I have paid for it and I'm therefore certain to do the complete service schedule.

Will Mayall

Old 07-20-2006, 05:51 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Who bought the Toyota Service Contract?

Will,
Did you buy the service contract from one of the places listed online or from the dealer where you bought your car? I haven't bought the extended service yet but I plan to. I'm almost up to 1k miles and (knock on wood) no problems at all yet.

Old 07-20-2006, 05:55 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Bumzyman
Did you buy the service contract from one of the places listed online or from the dealer where you bought your car?
I bought the contract from the dealer when I bought the car. It is a Toyota contract although it is managed by a third party. I'm pretty sure that you have to buy it at a Toyota dealer. It also got the impression that it is only available when you buy the car.

Will Mayall

Old 07-21-2006, 07:27 AM
Active Enthusiast

I haven't bought the extended service yet but I plan to. I'm almost up to 1k miles and (knock on wood) no problems at all yet.

I think people are getting confused.

A "Service Contract" which is what the OP purchased covers service intervals (oil changes, etc).

An "Extended Warranty" covers failures after your original 3 year/36k mile coverage is over.

I write this because you have meshed the terms together calling it "extended service" and also referring to "no problems at all yet". I inferred this to mean that you are talking about an "Extended Warranty".

This thread is about Service Contracts and not Extended Warranties.

Hopefully everyone feels that my highlighting of this differentiation is helpful.

I would prefer the clarity because I am particularly interested in everyone's details of BOTH the extended warranty and the service plans. I am considering the purchase of both and price and coverage details are helpful...but only if I know which we are talking about

Old 07-21-2006, 11:54 AM
Active Enthusiast

Hmm I was never offered this when we bought our TCH but I am not sure I would have opted for it. How much do the major services run? Because 8 oil minor services at my dealership will only cost me $195...I know the 30k service on our Maxima was spendy at the dealer but at 15k what are they doing?

Old 07-21-2006, 02:58 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jhfarr73
How much do the major services run? Because 8 oil minor services at my dealership will only cost me $195?
I'd expect the minor to be more than $50 since they also rotate the tires. In Santa Cruz, it is tough to find an oil change for less than $40.

I just talked to the dealer and, although these are no doubt the most you could possibly pay, here are their service prices for the TCH:

5K, 10K, 20K, 25K, 35K, 40K, 50K, 55K - $190
15K, 45K - $340
30K - $550

It makes the $1095 I paid a screaming deal!

Will Mayall

Old 07-21-2006, 03:53 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mayall
I'd expect the minor to be more than $50 since they also rotate the tires. In Santa Cruz, it is tough to find an oil change for less than $40.

I just talked to the dealer and, although these are no doubt the most you could possibly pay, here are their service prices for the TCH:

5K, 10K, 20K, 25K, 35K, 40K, 50K, 55K - $190
15K, 45K - $340
30K - $550

It makes the $1095 I paid a screaming deal!

Will Mayall
$190 each for the "minor" services? That's ridiculous, if you ask me. I gotta dig out the manuals for mine - I want to see what these service stops require according to Toyota. I wish I had the electronic version of that part of the manual... I don't recall seeing this online.

Old 07-21-2006, 04:04 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by spiff72
$190 each for the "minor" services? That's ridiculous, if you ask me.
I agree. $190 is very high and I doubt anyone would actually pay that. I know that I always get the "coupon" price just for asking.

I believe the only actual work for the 5k services is oil, filter, lube, and tire rotation. All the rest of it is inspections.

Will Mayall

Old 07-22-2006, 01:12 PM
Active Enthusiast

Visited Freehold Toyota today for pricing.

They call it a "Maintenance Contract" and only cover up to the first 45k miles.

Their cost is $995 (non-negotiable).

Incidentally, they "only" charge $69 for the oil change/tire rotations...not $190.
But they do have another "tier" where it costs (chit, I forget...$160 or $190) for oil, tires, and then checking all the fluids and belts too...

I'm not sure that even $995 is such a hot deal.

It DOES include roadside assistance, however.

Another interesting point...you must sign up for the maintenance plan BEFORE you hit 5000 miles!!!

Old 07-22-2006, 03:43 PM
WVGasGuy

Oil/filter and tire roataion at my Toyota dealer is 24.95+15

If I do my services with them every 3000 miles then I get free tires for life. I signed up for that but I don't believe 3000 frequency is necessary and it's a hassle scheduling these when I can stop in at Jiffy Lube or some other service center in my spare time and get it done for 24.95+11 (for rotation). It saves me about an hour as well and I only plan to change the oil every 5000 miles.

Besides I probably won't put these tires back on when they wear out (I've got the Bridgestones)