Who Uses the "B" Setting on the Shift Lever??

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2006, 08:12 AM
I'm lovin' it
Default Re: Who Uses the "B" Setting on the Shift Lever??

traveling between las vegas and los angeles regularly...i use the B on the steep grades...i like it

Old 09-11-2006, 08:29 AM
Enthusiast

I use B position regularly, even just slowing down at intersections or coming to a stop. I don't think B mode works as an electrical retarding brake as i use on the 250 ton off road trucks i operate, rather its on engine brake, using the engine as an air pump to slow forward progress and saving your brake pads and rotors.

Old 09-11-2006, 08:30 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Joe,

I'm not sure. I thought that there were problems running the generator at high speed, so the ICE had to be used. I know it was covered in a different thread a couple of months ago.

Old 09-11-2006, 09:21 AM
HSD Organic Interface

Originally Posted by certz656
I use B position regularly, even just slowing down at intersections or coming to a stop. I don't think B mode works as an electrical retarding brake as i use on the 250 ton off road trucks i operate, rather its on engine brake, using the engine as an air pump to slow forward progress and saving your brake pads and rotors.
You are wasting your potential regen braking, a definite hybrid driving style no-no. If you learn to apply your brakes gently you can get battery charge for your momentum instead of heated compressed air without wearing out brake pads.

Originally Posted by WVGasGuy
I don't use "B". Are you sure it actually uses the engine or does it possibly add some "torgue" to the generator to increase resistance and thus increase generation? I thought someone had shown graphs with increased generation during B mode operation. I don't know but am curious.

I prefer to create power on long grades and have "rode" my brake pedal, probably annoying to the person behind me, but still justified since I would have broken the speed limit significantly if I had not.
I'm pretty sure both, or either depending on the situation and how the computer chooses to respond. I'm with you on the gentle riding of the brakes for max regen. I'm sure those behind you think you're burning up your brakes pads and think less of you, but the truth shall set you free...

Last edited by Droid13; 09-11-2006 at 09:28 AM.
Old 09-11-2006, 09:35 AM
Enthusiast
Thumbs up Re: Who Uses the "B" Setting on the Shift Lever??

I use the "B" setting quite often.

Living atop a hill in central Seattle, I am always heading down a steep hill on the way to the freeway or to the city's core. And the "B" setting really helps.

Old 09-11-2006, 09:55 AM
HSD Organic Interface

Originally Posted by Timberwolf
I use the "B" setting quite often.

Living atop a hill in central Seattle, I am always heading down a steep hill on the way to the freeway or to the city's core. And the "B" setting really helps.
If the hill is steep enough that you would have to use moderate to heavy braking to prevent over-speed, then absolutely this is what "B" is for. There will be a transition point unique to each situation/hill that a driver must decide between getting max regen or moving to protect brakes from wear and/or overheating.

The all wheel drive HSD cousins get to do regen braking on all 4 wheels, they probably have more leeway for regen down the steeper hills then the TCH.

Last edited by Droid13; 09-11-2006 at 09:58 AM.
Old 09-11-2006, 10:46 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I often use B in rush hour traffic to hold back my speed while creeping along under 20mph going downhill. Oddly the ICE stays off in B mode unless my speed increases beyond 20 MPH or so.

Old 09-11-2006, 12:05 PM
Enthusiast
Question Re: Who Uses the "B" Setting on the Shift Lever??

Just picked up my (my wifes, mostly) TCH Sat. 100 miles on it now, so new to this. I too was wondering how "B" worked. Questions:

1) does anyone know if the ICE is actually running or is it just really an air pump to add to the drag?

2) The Manual states (not in front of me now) that one should not operate in "B" for long periods because this will reduce mileage, which kind of indicates it is running?

3) If this is so one might want to operate in "B" at the start of a cold day to heat the engine as ICE are a lot more efficient (stated by Ed Wallace, Radio Car Guy who was testing the Lexus Hybrid) when they are warm?

Suggestion to Toyota that they need a section in the manual for all of us curious teck-o nuts

Old 09-11-2006, 01:35 PM
Keeping Toyota Solvent

Originally Posted by 3cpo
... If this is so one might want to operate in "B" at the start of a cold day to heat the engine as ICE are a lot more efficient...
Like the Prius the TCH stores hot coolant in a thermos bottle when shut off. It uses this to jumpstart the engine warm-up process.
My TCH goes from start to operating temperature in about a city block. My wife's XLE-V6 takes 2+ miles.
From what I remember the Prius can store coolant at operating temperature for a week even in near zero temperatures. I'll assume the TCH can do the same.
Gotta love it.
J

Old 09-11-2006, 02:02 PM
HSD Organic Interface

Originally Posted by 3cpo
Just picked up my (my wifes, mostly) TCH Sat. 100 miles on it now, so new to this. I too was wondering how "B" worked. Questions:

1) does anyone know if the ICE is actually running or is it just really an air pump to add to the drag?

2) The Manual states (not in front of me now) that one should not operate in "B" for long periods because this will reduce mileage, which kind of indicates it is running?
It will not use extra fuel if that's what you mean when used for slowing down. The engine may or may not be running according to other parameters, but using "B" does not use fuel in itself. The reason the manual warns of reduced mileage is due to:
1) Reduced coasting meaning more need to accelerate back to speed.
2) Possible reduced regen braking, meaning more need to run generator.

Quick Reply: Who Uses the "B" Setting on the Shift Lever??

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands