Why 2009 so early?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2008, 08:33 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Why 2009 so early?

OK I know the 07 was early in year because it was a new model and most makers do that, they introduce new model early and get a long year one run. But why did Toyota bring out 09 so soon, not even a refresh, nothing. Would be nice if they would have maybe refreshed the dash or something, maybe added Xebon headlights and driving lights. Are they rushing the life cycle to phase out the TCH early to get the Prius C ready to replace it in early 10 as an 11?

Old 03-19-2008, 09:56 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Why 2009 so early?

Originally Posted by kluken
OK I know the 07 was early in year because it was a new model and most makers do that, they introduce new model early and get a long year one run. But why did Toyota bring out 09 so soon, not even a refresh, nothing. Would be nice if they would have maybe refreshed the dash or something, maybe added Xebon headlights and driving lights. Are they rushing the life cycle to phase out the TCH early to get the Prius C ready to replace it in early 10 as an 11?
It's like the "11" on the amp **** in Spinal Tap. ;-)

Probably some marketing group said people like to buy the future model today...who knows.

Old 03-20-2008, 03:37 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Probably the same reason a dress manufacturer creates sizes that bear no resemblance to the person's true size.
Just guessing, but a woman who can "fit into a size 4" would rather purchase from that clothing line than another where she is a (true) size 6.

Old 03-20-2008, 03:50 AM

But it is rare for a mgf to release model year his early without any type of refresh or new model. I know Hyundai just released 09 Sonota, but they refreshed the car, new dash, some other cosmetics and new wheels, the Camry appears to be the exact same car as when it was released 2 years ago.

Old 03-20-2008, 04:10 AM
HypoFueler

maybe they sold out of the 2008s....

Old 03-20-2008, 04:49 AM

According to my dealer, they released the 09 TCH to 'align it' with the release of (I think) Corrola's and one other model.

Old 03-20-2008, 06:42 AM
SPL

I suspect that Toyota wanted to be able to re-package the TCH and other models, and in so doing to "justify" reducing the prices on the base packages without annoying people who had already bought 2008 models at the higher prices. Certainly, in Canada Toyota have made quite substantial price reductions, largely because of customer pressure caused by the drop in the value of the US dollar relative to the Canadian dollar. Introducing "new" 2009 models lets them justify this more easily.

Stan

Old 03-20-2008, 09:49 AM

What SPL said. At least for Canada, it allows Toyota Canada to readjust the price without pissing the 08 owners off (as well as make some equipment changes).

Also, it lets them get closer to the 2010 MY which is when the refreshed Camry will arrive (hopefully with an updated interior to match the new Accord).

Old 03-20-2008, 05:46 PM

It's all a marketing scheme. Model years in cars has always been ahead of the true year. Some genius marketing guru many years ago must have made millions for coming up with the concept of auto model years!

Old 03-21-2008, 02:11 AM

Yes it is a brilliant marketing strategy...and very effective, too!
It reminds you that it's time to replace a perfectly good product ahead of it's time.

Microsoft copied the strategy. Originally, it was Windows 3.1, then it became Windows 95, 98, 2000, ME (Millennium Edition), etc. as well as Office 97, etc. They've, obviously, abandoned the practice. It helps differentiate the products better than with other methods. I use Macs now and keep getting confused between Tiger and Panther (although they also have numbers 10.3 and 10.4), now that I am on Leopard. What's next? Cheetah? Lion? Meerkat?

Quick Reply: Why 2009 so early?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands