Why do both sides of the rear seat fold down?

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2006, 07:43 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Why do both sides of the rear seat fold down?

I went to fold down the rear seat in my TCH today. The passenger side fold-down has a small slot through to the cabin. Because of the batteries and/or cooling duct for them when you fold down the driver's side there is a wall there anyhow. Seems like a waste to put it on hinges instead of permanently bolting it in place. Could be cheaper since they can use the parts from standard Camrys. Can anyone think of any other reason?

Old 06-16-2006, 07:57 AM
2007 Toyota Camry Hybrid
Default Re: Why do both sides of the rear seat fold down?

Originally Posted by Orcrone
I went to fold down the rear seat in my TCH today. The passenger side fold-down has a small slot through to the cabin. Because of the batteries and/or cooling duct for them when you fold down the driver's side there is a wall there anyhow. Seems like a waste to put it on hinges instead of permanently bolting it in place. Could be cheaper since they can use the parts from standard Camrys. Can anyone think of any other reason?
One thing I can think of is that it lets you put things in the back seat, given the small trunk, without piling them on top of the leather or cloth seats. After you fold down the rear seats, you can then put boxes and other things in there without worrying about damage. Also, boxes that may be too high for the trunk could fit in the back seat.

Old 06-16-2006, 08:05 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

I would agree with TKCamry about letting you put things in across the back without potentially harming the seats. I would also say that the fewer things that are different between the TCH and the "regular" Camrys, the faster they can move down the assembly lines and the fewer changes to the parts list.

Old 06-16-2006, 08:19 AM

Good points both. Didn't think of protecting the back seats. I took the front wheel off my bicycle and was hoping that I could put in in the trunk with the seats folded down. But when I put down the rear passenger side seat and looked at the room I didn't even bother. Now I have to use my Explorer (17 - 18 mpg) when I take the bike or get a new bike rack.

I can get a relatively inexpensive rack that hooks to the trunk, but the car is a week old and I can't stomach the thought of attaching metal hooks to the car's finish. The other possibility is a receiver to the back of the car so I can hook up a hitch mounted rack, but that option is probably $500 to $700.

Old 06-16-2006, 09:12 AM
Enthusiast

Orcrone, when you do decide on a method to tote your bike around, please put up a post about it. Also, post the mpg difference you notice (if you see one...). I am having a similar problem and am interested to see what results you have. Thanks!

Old 06-16-2006, 10:05 AM
WVGasGuy

I had a rack 15 years ago that was adjustable and had nice plastic coated hooks that I used on my BMW's with no damage. Surely they make something similar?

I am disappointed that I can't have a hitch for my rear rack for hauling my weedeater or push mower. I'm sure it would not damage the car but it would be difficult if I ever had to explain to Toyota why I have a hitch if I don't tow.

Old 06-16-2006, 10:07 AM
WVGasGuy

Can anyone think of any other reason?

It's also great for my small dogs. They have accidents and they like to be up higher to see out of the windows.

Old 06-16-2006, 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by greenGirl
Orcrone, when you do decide on a method to tote your bike around, please put up a post about it. Also, post the mpg difference you notice (if you see one...). I am having a similar problem and am interested to see what results you have. Thanks!
Will do, but right now my immediate solution is using the Explorer. I can tell you that will be about a 20 mpg penalty. Actually, I would think mileage wise a rack that mounts in the back, whether trunk or hitch mounted, would do better than a roof mounted one.

Old 06-16-2006, 02:06 PM
Electricity Guzzler

One good reason for having the left side fold down even though it doesn't improve the pass thru is to allow easy access for the techs when they have to access the traction battery for working on it and poss. replace. 7.99999 years (wishful thinking) down the road.