Wind Noise

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2010, 05:08 PM
Enthusiast
Default Wind Noise

My '09 Camry Hybrid has really annoying driver's side wind noise with window up. At beltway/highway driving I really have to turn up radio volume. Forget quiet classical music. Dealer says nothing he can do. Anyone with similar experiences have any luck?

Old 05-21-2010, 04:12 AM
Super Moderator
Default Re: Wind Noise

Bruce,

Check the exterior window seal for a crack or torn area. They can also get "rolled over" and create a wrinkle for wind to whistle around. The other area to check is the rear view mirror. Is there any part of the mirror that has had something happen to it?

Old 05-21-2010, 05:49 PM
Enthusiast

Thanks for the reply - will check out. Have done that before, but will be a bit more thorough this time.

Old 05-24-2010, 08:44 PM
Enthusiast

I have the excessive wind noise on the driver's and passenger's (wife's) side in my '09 Camry with all windows up. It sounds like there's a leak but dealer found nothing wrong. There's also excessive road noise in the cabin on slightly rough asphalt. These noises weren't present when I drove the demo. I thought about adding insulation. Anyone with his problem?

Old 05-25-2010, 02:11 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Hnlhybrid
... There's also excessive road noise in the cabin on slightly rough asphalt. These noises weren't present when I drove the demo. I thought about adding insulation. Anyone with his problem?
Tire choice and inflation pressure can (I believe) contribute to road noise. Most dealers (I believe) tend to keep tires at or slightly below recommended pressure to provide a smooth comfortable ride.
Many owners tend to add pressure to increase their mileage, which might produce the extra noise.
In addition, the demo and your car might have different brands of tires
Not an expert on this, however, since I go for the recommended pressure. I'm sure others who have experience on this topic will chime in.

Old 05-25-2010, 05:24 AM
Super Moderator

For the wind noise, try to find a local tech with a smoke machine that can go around the windows on the outside of the car while the AC is running wide open inside the car. By running the smoke around all door and window seals, you can isolate the bad seals (if any) and know where to start. Don't forget to check the moon roof seals when checking the windows and doors.

Check the window and door alignment to make sure they are correct. A window or door that protrudes or is inset more than it should be can cause increased wind noise. If one side of the car is less "noisy" than the other, compare them to see the difference. Measure the clearances to make sure about them instead of relying on you Mark 1, model A eyeballs....

If you have changed wiper blades, they can also be a source of your noise as they often have a different shape than the factory blades. This is one of the reasons I happen to like Bosch Icons for a replacement blade as they generally have very low noise.

If you have changed tires, they can contribute greatly to your road noise and as Larry noted above, higher pressures will result in a harsher ride and increased road noise. This is offset by increased mileage and better turn in performance in a curve.

Another area would be a change in wheels to a larger diameter or style than the factory wheels. The different designs available increase or decrease the wind noise caused by the wheel.

If you continue to have too much road noise, you can add "hush mat" under the carpet to deaden the sound heard inside the car. It is a little expensive but works very well in eliminating extraneous noise. Noise reduction measures like this have been slowly reduced by the factories due to cost but are commonly added by aftermarket sound system installers.

Old 05-25-2010, 11:58 AM
Enthusiast

Mahalo (Thank you) for your responses. My THC came with Michelin tires which a lot of people have attributed as being one of the more quiet tires. I keep them at 32 psi. I emailed the "hush mat" company asking if there was anyone in Hawaii that sold and installed their product but I haven't received a response. The noise factor has been my only disappointment as quietness was a major reason why I purchased a hybrid.

Old 05-25-2010, 01:07 PM
Super Moderator

Where are you located in Hawaii? Lived there for 3 years a LONG time ago on Hickam AFB and near Kaneohe marine base and up on the north shore near Poi Pounder on Oahu.

Old 05-25-2010, 01:52 PM
Enthusiast

I live in the Salt Lake area, near the Navy-Marine golf course. Sounds like you were stationed at those military bases which are still here, strong as ever.

Old 05-25-2010, 04:14 PM
Super Moderator

Dad was stationed there, I just went to school for 3 years.... I know the area you live in as I had a good friend whose dad was in the navy based at Pearl. They went golfing a lot and let us carry the bags... When we were by ourselves, we used to hang out around Hanauma Bay whenever we could or just north of there at blowhole.

Back then we just called "haole" as most GI kids were not very well liked (or anyone else from the mainland for that matter....).

Quick Reply: Wind Noise

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands