XM Radio

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2007, 11:23 PM
Enthusiast
Default XM Radio

Has anyone gotten factory installed XM (or Sirius) radio with the antenna? I'm curious as to where the antenna and tuner are installed and how it's integrated with the Nav system.
It's called "NavTraffic"
http://www.xmradio.com/navtraffic/index.xmc

After further looking, it's a premium feature and isn't shown being available for the Camry.
http://www.xmradio.com/navtraffic/get_nav.xmc

Last edited by Briano77; 07-18-2007 at 08:09 PM.
Old 07-18-2007, 06:41 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: XM Radio

Originally Posted by Briano77
Has anyone gotten factory installed XM (or Sirius) radio with the antenna? I'm curious as to where the antenna and tuner are installed and how it's integrated with the Nav system.
Well mine was installed by dealer when I bought the car (XM). It is the only radio that Toyota uses and fits behind the navigator console. You don't see it at all since it connects directly into the console. The screen for it is the same one used for the Nav system as well as the push buttons already on the system. Totally integrated, you don't see a think.

If you are using the nav system your radio will mute when the nav system gives commands and then come back on.

Antenna is on the top of back trunk on edge close to the back windshield.

Hope that helps. This car has so many electronics I've been reading the book almost daily for the last month!

John

Old 07-18-2007, 07:48 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by zebrajeb
Well mine was installed by dealer when I bought the car (XM). It is the only radio that Toyota uses and fits behind the navigator console. You don't see it at all since it connects directly into the console. The screen for it is the same one used for the Nav system as well as the push buttons already on the system. Totally integrated, you don't see a think.

If you are using the nav system your radio will mute when the nav system gives commands and then come back on.

Antenna is on the top of back trunk on edge close to the back windshield.

Hope that helps. This car has so many electronics I've been reading the book almost daily for the last month!

John
Do you have a feature called "NavTraffic"?
http://www.xmradio.com/navtraffic/index.xmc
I'm really curious as to how it works. I talked to two dealers today but neither knew anything about it.
I hope to be reading the same book soon if things go OK.
Brian

Old 07-18-2007, 09:06 PM
Active Enthusiast

Don't have Nav Traffic. This is a subscription service that is only available in certain cities. Not available where I live so don't have it.

John

Old 07-18-2007, 09:12 PM
Enthusiast

As far as I can tell, according to the XM web site, it's not available for Toyota either. Oh well, at least I found out what it was.

Brian

Old 07-19-2007, 01:41 PM
Led-footed HyBrid geek

The TCH XM receiver is installed in the trunk near the 12v battery. The antenna is routed to various locations. Mine was installed inside on the rear deck. I moved it to the outside onto the trunk lid.
The traffic feature is only available in select cars. The camry is not one of them.

Old 07-19-2007, 06:11 PM
Enthusiast

Does it work well with the audio system? Does it scroll the scores for you favorite teams and show the current song and artist currently playing?
Also, was there much of difference in reception between the antenna being inside vs. outside?

Thanks
Brian

Old 07-20-2007, 12:33 AM
pjp
Enthusiast
Default Sirius

Originally Posted by Briano77
Does it work well with the audio system? Does it scroll the scores for you favorite teams and show the current song and artist currently playing?
Also, was there much of difference in reception between the antenna being inside vs. outside?
Brian:

I have a dealer-installed Sirius -- not XM -- system in my TCH with navigation. The integration of the satellite system with the navigation screen is nice, but you should be aware that the display does not compare to many after-market Sirius radios. The display in the car only displays a small number of characters and there is no scrolling. All but the shortest titles or artists are truncated, and I know of no way to see scores for favorite teams (though, to be fair, I haven't looked for that).

My reception is horrible, compared to the after-market, externally-mounted antenna I had in my last car. The Sirius antenna is mounted on the inside of the windshield, near the top, just to the passenger side of the rear view mirror. I experience frequent, lengthy drop-outs in areas that were completely fine in my last setup. I can't say for sure that putting the antenna on the outside will cure this problem (and I think the dealer will do that for me), but it can't make things any worse.

Cheers.

Old 07-20-2007, 01:31 AM
Enthusiast

Very interesting, thank you very much.

Circuit city installed an XM in my Prius and mounted the magnet antenna on the roof just above the windshield. I held on good but when washing or waxing it would move scratching the paint.

Old 07-20-2007, 04:24 AM
Enthusiast

Brian,

I, too, have factory installed XM radio. The radio head is in the trunk near the battery, and the antenna is on the rear deck inside the car just to the passenger side of the brake light. The reception is good, but not as good as my 2005 4-runner aftermarket installation. I put the antenna on the roof directly above the rear view mirror. I also had a SkyFi II radio, and miss the scrolling sport scores and stock ticker. I have yet to figure out if the song/artist displays on the screen in the TCH. If anyone knows, please let me know.

Quick Reply: XM Radio

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands