HCH I-Specific Discussions Model Years 2003–2005

05 HCH IMA Light Preventing Emissions Pass

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2015, 04:49 PM
Enthusiast
Default 05 HCH IMA Light Preventing Emissions Pass

As the title says, my wife's 05 Honda Civic Hybrid is due for emissions in Illinois before reg renewal next month and failed due to an OBD trouble code (Classic IMA light issue of P1449). Looked it up long ago (learned a lot on this forum in fact) and it's related to an overheat in one of the cells of the giant hybrid battery and a big problem for these cars. I can reset the engine computer and it clears until you even try to accelerate, then it throws on an idiot light and the code is set again. Sometimes I can make it 10 miles (never enough to ready all emission codes though) and lately it won't make it around the block. Unfortunately this is a CVT trans so I can't do any of the tricks used to prevent it from using the hybrid boost like you can with a manual - basically a switch to make it think the clutch is in to prevent it from kicking in.

I did look into the PZEV 15 year / 150k warranty since this was bought and used in California but has been in Illinois for a few years and little dealer maint history in Cali. I’d expect Honda dealer to laugh if we tried to get it fixed and the mileage is just over 150k so think that idea is toast.

Also, I've thought of dealing with trying to write for an exemption but starting a letter writing campaign with the government is not something I think will be productive. (I believe the precondition for them to listen to an exemption is proof of $750 in mechanics fees and still failing after that)

We're looking at new cars since we've had this a decade. Even though this one drives relatively fine, trying to sell it privately for $1000 will probably bring in people who don't understand that it needs a $2-3k battery swap (and we don't want them crying/screaming to us in a week when they can't register it). So thinking Carmax or some other place that we can hand it off to who can auction it or fix it. Thought about parting out on eBay but not worth the trouble when the engines are going for $400.

I'm thinking posting to ebay with a big warning and being clear it's as-is. (same car and situation as http://www.ebay.com/itm/121754795691?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT) but seems he's dealing with non-payers and idiots not understanding as well.

I feel bad essentially scrapping it as it has good tires, year old oem floormats, 5000 miles on a new stock suspension, 8 newish iridium plugs and drives smoothly at 40mpg. Donating it gets us a max $500 deduction. Pick and pull online cash estimates are like $350 total. Guessing dealer trade or carmax would be $1000ish.

I don't want to enter the world of dismantling the pack or grid chargers just based on the time involved and the gamble of if it'll work or not. Also, the CVT is a bit of a lurch on start so I'm reluctant to keep putting money into it.

Ideas? Anyone looking for a project?

Old 09-13-2015, 04:59 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: 05 HCH IMA Light Preventing Emissions Pass

I also am aware of and got excited about the DIY computer control modifyer (
) but seems it was last discussed in 2012 or so and doubtful I'll be able to find/build one with any ease. I can build electronics / program chips without a problem. I'm talking about sourcing the plans and chips and programming required. If anyone knows of how to build or has one to sell I'd be interested.

Old 09-14-2015, 07:42 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: 05 HCH IMA Light Preventing Emissions Pass

Originally Posted by elverado
I also am aware of and got excited about the DIY computer control modifyer (Vid 1 Standalone version of IMAC&C for the HCH1 2003-2005 Civic Hybrid - YouTube) but seems it was last discussed in 2012 or so and doubtful I'll be able to find/build one with any ease. I can build electronics / program chips without a problem. I'm talking about sourcing the plans and chips and programming required. If anyone knows of how to build or has one to sell I'd be interested.
Bumblebee and Hybrid Revolt sell replacement packs. Stay away from Honda as their cells since 2009 have been inferior. 2009 and 2010 HCH2 battery replacement rates are about 30% based on a 2013 Consumer Reports survey.

You could likely benefit from the use of a grid charger, DIY < $100, or $400 or so from HybridAutomotive.com.

Contact the poster of the video. He is the developer.