HCH I-Specific Discussions Model Years 2003–2005

'05 MT Owner -- Anyone else doing their own work?

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2010, 01:29 PM
Dumb Blonde
Default '05 MT Owner -- Anyone else doing their own work?

Hi all -- I'm new to these forums and looking for another MT owner who's been doing his/her own maintenance and repairs on this car. I'm approaching 80k and various bits and pieces are starting to complain, so a shop buddy whose brain I can pick would be great. Cheers!

Old 10-22-2010, 07:00 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: '05 MT Owner -- Anyone else doing their own work?

I fix all my other bikes/cars and have done much with this civic but last week I panicked and took it to the stealer. $500 only to find out it needed a new 12V battery, I'm kicking myself.

Old 11-28-2010, 06:41 AM

I used to be a mechanic, with the emphasis on used to, but stopped because I just didn't enjoy it anymore.

But I do some work on my 2003 HCH. I don't change the oil anymore because what little money I save just isn't worth it to me, especially in the winter since I don't have a warm garage to work in and also because oil disposal is a pain I don't need.

I have done the brakes all around, I change air filters. Ireplaced my EGR valve. I replaced both headlight assemblys because they were cracked. And I'm sure there are a couple other items not at the top of my head.

Post any specific questions you have and I will be happy to help if I can.

Old 11-28-2010, 06:44 AM

Originally Posted by danboy
I fix all my other bikes/cars and have done much with this civic but last week I panicked and took it to the stealer. $500 only to find out it needed a new 12V battery, I'm kicking myself.
You must have got more than a 12V battery for $500.

Or at least I hope you did.

Old 11-28-2010, 07:15 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mrkcohen
You must have got more than a 12V battery for $500.

Or at least I hope you did.
The battery was all they changed but their story is that they had to road test and troubleshoot the car which cost 350 then 150 to change and install the battery.

Old 11-28-2010, 07:56 PM
Think green.

Wow...time to find another dealer.
I hate when they do that.

Old 11-28-2010, 08:09 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Gairwyn
Wow...time to find another dealer.
I hate when they do that.
I hate the stealers so much that I try to do all my fixes, however when the car was acting funny I just couldn't figure it out on my own.

Old 11-29-2010, 01:10 PM
Think green.

What kind of symptoms was it exhibiting? Maybe it would be helpful to someone else in the future. I've heard that a failing 12V battery can result in all sorts of unusual symptoms.

Old 11-29-2010, 01:14 PM

I hate the stealers so much that I try to do all my fixes, however when the car was acting funny I just couldn't figure it out on my own.
I've changed that battery twice now; the first time because the car acted like any other car with a dead battery, no lights, wouldn't turn over, etc, so I jumped it and it seemed ok, but when it happened again a month or so later I happened to be at KMart so I went back inside and bought a new battery for under $50 IIRC. That was 4-5 years ago and it lasted me until just a few weeks ago.

This time the symptoms were a little different, I would turn the key but there would be a 2-3 second delay before the car started. Then I pulled over to use the phone one day and after sitting in auto-stop for 5 min or so the car didn't start when I put it in gear. I got out and reseated the negative cable and it started. That weekend I looked a little deeper and discovered my negative cable was seriously frayed where it connects to the tranny housing so I replaced that and thought the problem was solved (the battery tested ok with a load tester), but the "delayed starting" returned. At that point I went ahead and replaced the 12V again, just to be on the safe side since winter is fast approaching and it was probably due anyway. I haven't had any problems since. I paid about $45 for the latest battery.

Remember the car can be jumped like any other car. Just be careful with the polarity of course. And for what its worth if I am going to put a charger on the 12V I disconnect both pos and neg cables before doing so.

And yes, it's definitely time to find another dealer...

Old 11-30-2010, 07:56 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Gairwyn
What kind of symptoms was it exhibiting? Maybe it would be helpful to someone else in the future. I've heard that a failing 12V battery can result in all sorts of unusual symptoms.
The symptoms were major starting troubles especially after sitting, serious dip in mpg and erratic cvt. I searched the web and most folks told me the combination of issues meant the battery pack was failing. Granted it's an 04 with 183 000 miles so go figure. Here's the kicker after the car was ready they wanted me to pay $900 for new mounts and as I'm on the expressway driving home the left side of bumper and under panel comes off.

Quick Reply: '05 MT Owner -- Anyone else doing their own work?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands