HCH I-Specific Discussions Model Years 2003–2005

12-volt Battery - Any relationship w/ Hybrid Battery?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2008, 11:16 AM
Enthusiast
Default 12-volt Battery - Any relationship w/ Hybrid Battery?

Guys,

Any relationship between the 12-volt battery and the Hybrid Battery? In other words, if the 12 volt gets weak does the Hybrid battery take over any functions so that it weakens the hybrid battery? We've owned our 2004 for about 4-5 months and the Honda dealer told me the 12-volt needed to be replaced. News to me! I certainly haven't noticed any issues. Thanks!

Old 06-26-2008, 11:45 AM
Eco Accelerometrist
Default Re: 12-volt Battery - Any relationship w/ Hybrid Battery?

The relationship between the two batteries is strong, if not critical. The IMA control and management systems (which encompasses the Hybrid Battery) can only power up if the 12V battery is healthy and with a good voltage level. Once the hybrid systems are powered up then the power flow typically occurs from the hybrid battery to the 12V unit in the form of a recurring charge.

In summary: A poor or faulty 12V battery spells trouble to the hybrid system's ability to function properly (if at all).

Cheers;

MSantos

Old 06-26-2008, 12:24 PM
Enthusiast

I suspected as much. I'll replace it ASAP! Thanks!

Old 06-26-2008, 04:12 PM
Active Enthusiast

While I have a Accord hybrid, the 12v battery in mine was questionable. I took it to the local AutoZone to be checked and it was tested as weak. I charged it over night and it still retested as weak. I knew something was up with the battery because the charger had gotten pretty darn warm while attempting to recharge it.

Anyways, I bought a battery from the same place with an 8 yr warranty and the car really came to life. The assist was like I had never seen it before ever, the mpg increased a couple too.

My suggestion is to take it to a local autoparts store that tests batteries for free. The battery is nothing special and I see no reason to buy it from a dealer.

Best of luck

Tony

Old 06-27-2008, 05:28 AM
Enthusiast

Thanks...I agree. I've used the Duralast batteries for years and have had no problems. I'll replace the battery and see what happens!

Old 06-27-2008, 02:04 PM
Active Enthusiast

cmcd

I would let them TEST your battery FIRST, just so you know for sure.

May I suggest you have them TEST the battery you are about to buy as well?

My kid worked for AZ and bored one day, he tested the batteries on the shelf. HE was shocked as to how many were bad, NOT just weak, but BAD per the test set.

Good luck
Tony

Old 10-27-2008, 01:04 PM
Enthusiast

8yr warrenty? who gives that kind of warrenty?

Old 10-27-2008, 01:07 PM
Active Enthusiast

Auto Zone

Old 10-27-2008, 03:59 PM
Enthusiast
Smile Re: 12-volt Battery - Any relationship w/ Hybrid Battery?

I just wanted to let everyone know. The company I work for does offer a jump start and towing guide for Hybrids. It is intended for professional towing companies and road service clubs. If you have any doubts about the ability of the companies doing road sevice on your vehicles. I just wanted to let everyone know we have been considering making available the info for owners. A one page supplement that you could hand to the tow truck operator when they arrive to help you with your dead battery or breakdown. Many hybrid vehicles if towed improperly could actaully catch fire. We have just finished our quick reference guides for the road service industry this month. I would be interested in hearing if the public would like the info for themselves for when they need it. Let me know you can reach me at m(dot)mosher(at)hybridhazards(dot) (info)