HCH I-Specific Discussions Model Years 2003–2005

12v solar battery charger

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2009, 11:27 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default 12v solar battery charger

Hello,
Does anyone know how to connect a solar battery charger to 2004 HCH. I know you need to connect to fuse box inside the car but which fuse since I do not want it off the cig lighter. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Old 12-12-2009, 02:58 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: 12v solar battery charger

What battery are you trying to charge? The 12v conventional battery under the hood could be connected directly to the solar charger with spring clips. Most circuits in the car are disconnected from this battery unless the ignition key is turned to one of its "on" positions. The cigarette lighter would be one of those circuits, so it would not be a way to connect the charger to the 12v battery when the car is sitting idle.

The larger IMA battery pack can share its power with the 12v battery when necessary, but again only with the key on and the vehicle's "electronic brain" activated. Charging the IMA battery pack directly would require a much higher voltage than that provided by a solar charger and could be very dangerous to both the person and the IMA battery if not done properly.

Old 12-12-2009, 08:56 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ovals49
What battery are you trying to charge? The 12v conventional battery under the hood could be connected directly to the solar charger with spring clips. Most circuits in the car are disconnected from this battery unless the ignition key is turned to one of its "on" positions. The cigarette lighter would be one of those circuits, so it would not be a way to connect the charger to the 12v battery when the car is sitting idle.

The larger IMA battery pack can share its power with the 12v battery when necessary, but again only with the key on and the vehicle's "electronic brain" activated. Charging the IMA battery pack directly would require a much higher voltage than that provided by a solar charger and could be very dangerous to both the person and the IMA battery if not done properly.
I am talking about the 12v battery because if i can charge it with the solar charger then the IMA Battery will not have to and then may save on gas milage. A trickle charge is all that is needed to keep it topped up. I guess there is no way to connect to fuse box that would have a live feed even when the car ignition is off. I believe some one here did it but supplied no details on the connection. This maybe trival but I would like to do it for reason said above. Cheers

Old 12-12-2009, 11:45 AM
Active Enthusiast

not to worry...i found msantos post describing the complete installation. Thanks