HCH I-Specific Discussions Model Years 2003–2005

200,000 miles? No troubles!

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2009, 07:35 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default 200,000 miles? No troubles!

I turned over 200,000 miles on my '04 Civic Hybrid (MT) last month.
I bought the car new, and have done ALL the service myself. For it's 200k service, I did the following;
Oil and filter change (Mobil 1 0W-20 - great stuff!)
Air filter clean and oil (I use a K&N to save $$ over the long run)
Tranny gearbox oil change (Honda Manual trans oil)
New front brake pads - this was the FIRST time I changed them!!!
Valve adjustment - easy to do
New Spark Plugs (platinum = expen$ive)
Tire rotate - I'm still using Dunlop OE SP20 - junk, I know, but CHEAP, and great mileage (I'm getting 60k miles per set).
Cabin air filter(s) change

I've had almost ZERO problems with the car in 5 yrs. I do have a engine management light on, some weird code relating to the O2 sensors. I ignore it. It's not like it's affecting the car's performance in ANY way, and certainly no more emissions because of it. Besides, new O2 sensors are very pricey. The bodywork is getting a bit worn - pitting hood, broken front spoilers, etc. It's a tough commute.

The IMA system is just fine, thank you. Charges/discharges as it always has.

I travel to and from the Chicago suburbs daily, so it's sort of an extreme environment (-20F -> 105F, stop and go, snow, ice, rain, etc). I usually drive 73mph on the highway. I have averaged 48.4 mpg lifetime; better in the Summer, less in the Winter. (BTW, this isn't my only means of transportation, I have a pickup truck and several motorcycles I use to commute with. The Honda just gets better mileage, so I drive it more often.)

Great car. I hope it lasts another 200k!!

Cheers!

Old 07-22-2009, 01:18 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: 200,000 miles? No troubles!

Good news. Pretty amazing brake pad life, due to regen braking I'm sure. How was your valve adjustment, in particular the access. I did our '06, and needed to remove trim pieces at the top of engine firewall for access:

http://www.cleanmpg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17946

Also had a look at our plugs recently, just for the heck of it. They looked as-new, apart from a little build-up, just inspected, cleaned with carb cleaner, lubed threads, and re-installed. Ours are iridium coated, very expensive, and there are 8!. Again the above mentioned trim pieces needed to come off:

http://www.cleanmpg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23400

Old 07-22-2009, 06:04 PM

Great to hear stories like yours! Most are about problems with our autos. Hope my 2006 gives me the kind of service, yours gave you. So far so good ,but I am only at 22,000 miles, so a long way to go.
Cheers,
Hal

Old 07-23-2009, 12:22 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

That's great! I'd be curious to know who's HCH mileage record holder on the original battery, if it's not the OP.

Old 07-23-2009, 07:30 AM
Active Enthusiast

Here's an earlier post with photos of my first valve adjustment:
https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/...tml#post129963

Old 07-24-2009, 04:21 AM
Active Enthusiast

That's Great cbxtc6. I have about 120,000 0n my 2003 HCH besides 1 set of brakes i installed, my regular oil changes and tranny oil changes at the beginning of every summer.I had to replace my EGR valve around 75,000 miles. but i also get the O2 sensor failure and it kicks on the MIL light and it is always the same P1420 so i reset it and it is good for another 2 months. but not in the winter it never trigers the MIL from november to june.
I have not done the valve adjustment yet but i have a week off in aug so i will do it then with a new set of plugs. my commute every day is 55 miles each way 110 total driving from islip longisland NY to manhatten. on the way to work 70 MPH the way home heavy traffic for about the first 25 miles then i fly the rest of the way. I am currently getting about 45MPG average with the automatic transmission.
well im glad to hear about your good luck with your HCH i hope i get the same luck at 200k.
Walt

Old 07-24-2009, 05:15 PM

cbxtc6, thanks for the link to the valve check pictures. One observation, the valve cover (and the whole engine) on the first gen is so much more out in the middle of the engine bay. With the second gen ('06 and onward), the engine is half under the "eave" of the engine cowl at the top of firewall. It's no big deal once you've taken it off once or twice, though.

Old 01-09-2011, 06:06 AM
Enthusiast

The error codes for the 02 sensors could be related to software.

Old 01-09-2011, 10:28 AM

That's great! I'd be curious to know who's HCH mileage record holder on the original battery, if it's not the OP.
Looks like the latest post by cbxtc6 was back in 4/10. Are you still out there Chicago? The April post was about selling your HCH service manual and I'm wondering if you still have the car.

Mine finally decided to quit at 229,999 last week. I still haven't given up, but as of now I can't get it started. The CEL never goes off after turning the key and the fuel pump never comes on for 2 seconds to pressurize the rail.

It'll fire with starting fluid and right now I'm waiting on a code reader to see if and/or what code the ECU is throwing. Actually I could use that service manual cbxtc6 was trying to sell last spring.

Hopefully I can get my baby going again, but of course at almost 230,000 miles I got my moneys worth a long time ago anyway....

Old 02-01-2011, 06:44 PM

I've only just put on 100K on my 03 I bought dec of 02'. So far so good. I did have to have the transmission repaired under warranty last year. I just replaced my break pads a month ago. Sounds like these cars are built pretty well but do have a few quirks that people seem to have with them.

I'm going to guess that it won't be much to get your car running again. Maybe you have a fuel line problem or fuel filter problem. If it runs after you spray some fluid in it, I bet it isn't something overly complicated.

Quick Reply: 200,000 miles? No troubles!

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands