HCH I-Specific Discussions Model Years 2003–2005

2003 HCH 1 @ 182,000 miles

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2011, 04:39 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: 2003 HCH 1 @ 182,000 miles

Originally Posted by Hot_Georgia_2004
Just a side note about the plugs:

I've heard from several sources the spark plug electrodes have to be facing a certain way when snugged down, and the thread milling for the spark plugs in the head varies from hole to hole, so the factory stamps a number 1-4 for each cylinder and the replacement plug must carry the correct number to match. If the numbers are mismatched the electrodes will face wrong.
That's an interesting detail. I had no idea about that when I installed my own plugs. It's the first time I'm hearing of this...are there any online sources, maybe from Honda that describe this...?

What is the repercussion for having the electrode facing the wrong way?

Old 11-04-2011, 09:39 AM
Enthusiast

UPDATE

The check engine light.

It was still on. But we'll come back to that in a second.

So after getting the new radiator installed, I noticed that my car sounded like a SUBMARINE. It was making a gurgling sound from behind the radio/dashboard area that was most prominent between 1000-1700 RPM. I took it back to my dealership and had the service rep come out and sit in the car and listen to it, which he did. Now he CLAIMED he had never heard anything like that before, so I scheduled an appointment which, after a quick google search for "Honda Civic gurgling sound", I cancelled. It's related to the new radiator I had installed...apparently there are/is still some bubbles in the system which need to be purged. So that, I will deal with as I learn more, but one of the things I read (which mirrored something a mechanic-buddy of mine mentioned to me) was that before I go chasing gremlins, I've got to clear up the check engine light issue. Until that's fixed, the engine is computing parameters based on false information.

So I drove over to a NAPA auto parts store and asked if they had a code-reader. It turns out they did, and they were excited to come out and use it for no charge. The reader came back with a P1166 code, which is a primary O2 sensor or something to that effect. Based on that, I purchased a new O2 sensor and an O2 sensor socket. The socket alone was $25 bucks but I figured that's cheap insurance against having to have the car towed or limped in to have a mechanic have to remove the broken old one.

I got home and opened the hood and let the engine cool. I removed the old O2 sensor, hand-installed the new one, used a torque wrench and tightened it up to the recommended 33 ft/lbs. I hooked it back up and started the car. To my dismay, the check engine light didn't go out. I drove it back over to the NAPA store and the guy came out and re-checked the code, and the device said "NO CODE".
Of that, I was happy. I drove the car home and just decided to try disconnecting the battery. I did, and now the check engine light is OUT and hopefully will stay out. I'm off to have the mandatory annual state safety inspection done on it. If I don't follow up to this post, then consider that "good news".

Old 11-05-2011, 12:28 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by That guy
That's an interesting detail. I had no idea about that when I installed my own plugs. It's the first time I'm hearing of this...are there any online sources, maybe from Honda that describe this...?

What is the repercussion for having the electrode facing the wrong way?
Thank you for posting this.
I've done a lot of searching online and found no reference to it at all.

My comment originated from information obtained by my Honda service advisor back in 2008 just before my 100K mile maintenance.

I believe he was in error.

Old 11-05-2011, 12:50 PM
Think green.

Dan,

Have you read this other thread:

https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/...12/index4.html

It regards recent Honda mailings concerning a computer update, catalytic converters, oxygen sensors, etc.
Your dealership should be able to look up your car's VIN number to see if you need the computer update (Product Update: ECM Update to Improve DTC P1420 and P2000 Detection Threshold); it might help prevent some false readings and codes, like you said...your car might be computing parameters based on false information.

They should be able to pull up the following Service Bulletins:
11-043 is the current software update for the cat. sensors (mentioned above).
11-044 is the warranty extension for the secondary and third heated oxygen sensors.
There are also notices concerning possible reimbursement for people who replaced parts before having received the notices.

Last edited by Gairwyn; 11-05-2011 at 01:17 PM.
Old 11-05-2011, 07:15 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Hot_Georgia_2004
Thank you for posting this.
I've done a lot of searching online and found no reference to it at all.

My comment originated from information obtained by my Honda service advisor back in 2008 just before my 100K mile maintenance.

I believe he was in error.
It wouldn't surprise me to find out this to be true. When I was researching plugs I never saw anything that allowed one to specify a plug number like you mentioned. My initial reaction was a cross between and .

Old 11-05-2011, 07:25 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Gairwyn
Dan,

Have you read this other thread:

https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/...12/index4.html

It regards recent Honda mailings concerning a computer update, catalytic converters, oxygen sensors, etc.
Your dealership should be able to look up your car's VIN number to see if you need the computer update (Product Update: ECM Update to Improve DTC P1420 and P2000 Detection Threshold); it might help prevent some false readings and codes, like you said...your car might be computing parameters based on false information.

They should be able to pull up the following Service Bulletins:
11-043 is the current software update for the cat. sensors (mentioned above).
11-044 is the warranty extension for the secondary and third heated oxygen sensors.
There are also notices concerning possible reimbursement for people who replaced parts before having received the notices.
Thanks for sending this along. I'm aware of the thread and I did receive those letters in the mail. When I took my car in for the new AC compressor installation I brought the letters with me and my car was eligible for the software update so that was completed along with the other work. Even with the update, I still believe the P1166 code was accurate.
As for the cat converter or the other associated sensor issues...I've never had any, and for that I consider myself more lucky than anything else.

Old 11-06-2011, 03:42 PM
Enthusiast

I was happy to read That guy's post.
I have an 05 HCH, 150k, no problems, still averaging 42-45 mpg overall, checking gallons at fill up against mileage vs. computer. (computer is pretty accurate).
I've had the check engine light a few times and it always goes out. Honda told me to give them over 2 grand for O2 sensors and CAT but I passed on it and there has been no problem.
I am hoping this performance continues, and was happy to read of someone who is still going strong at 183K
Thanks
GKG

Old 11-06-2011, 03:50 PM
Enthusiast

posted a reply a while ago, but did not see it on thread.
This may be a duplicate.
I was glad to see That Guy's post, I have a 2005 HCH with 150k, great performance so far. Engine light has gone on several times, once Honda recommended I give then over $2k to replace 02 sensors and CAT. I declined, have had no drop in performance and the light has gone out. I passed inspection recently.
happy to see others with high mileage going strong. Love my HCH. still averages 42-45

Old 11-09-2011, 11:02 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by gkg44
posted a reply a while ago, but did not see it on thread.
This may be a duplicate.
I was glad to see That Guy's post, I have a 2005 HCH with 150k, great performance so far. Engine light has gone on several times, once Honda recommended I give then over $2k to replace 02 sensors and CAT. I declined, have had no drop in performance and the light has gone out. I passed inspection recently.
happy to see others with high mileage going strong. Love my HCH. still averages 42-45
Hey GKG!

Glad to hear of another reliable HCH out in the field still! Spending too much time on this forum can make you crazy hyper-analyzing every little sound and vibration.

Reading your post, I have some thoughts on it.

-Check engine light: Call around to your local auto parts store and ask them if they would be willing to "get your codes". You'll take it down there and they plug a little device into a jack under the dash and it will "read" the error code being generated by the car. They'll do it for free and there's no hassle or commitment like you'll get at the dealership. Run home with that code and look it up online to see what it is and re-post it here.

I only say that because although the car FEELS like it's running fine, to understand what that check engine light means is to understand why the car seems to be "fine" when in actuality you may be headed for big trouble.

The O2 sensors need to be working properly in order for the fuel control module to deliver the correct amount of fuel compared to the air going into the cylinders. If there's too much fuel, your economy will suffer and you'll get fouled plugs and black smoke coming out of your exhaust. If there's too little fuel going in, the cylinders will run at a higher temperature that they weren't designed for which could lead to head gasket failure, cracked cylinders, broken pistons and a whole gamut of other bad things.

The good news is the Primary O2 sensor is the problem in about 90% of the cases and it can be replaced, by you in your driveway in about 15 minutes, for $200.00.

I'm happy to hear you were able to pass inspection! What a joke those are: it's just another way for the state to make money.

As it turns out, if you HAD taken Honda up on their offer to replace your catalytic and your sensors, they would be mailing you a check right now for the amount you had paid.

Old 11-28-2011, 05:43 AM
swd
Enthusiast

Thanks for this post. I'm considering purchasing an '03 HCH and it's nice to hear a good detailed reliability report.

Quick Reply: 2003 HCH 1 @ 182,000 miles

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands