Electric Vehicle Forums

Electric Vehicle Forums (/forums/)
-   HCH I-Specific Discussions (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/hch-i-specific-discussions-50/)
-   -   2005 Civic A/C Weirdness (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/hch-i-specific-discussions-50/2005-civic-c-weirdness-31989/)

ajustin614 06-22-2019 03:12 AM

2005 Civic A/C Weirdness

So, I have a 2005 HCH-I with the manual transmission. Oddly it's one of the most reliable vehicles I've ever owned. 248,000 miles on original everything including clutch as far as I'm aware. Back in the middle of winter last year it made a 2,500 mile flawless trip from Davenport, Iowa to Portland, Oregon and averaged 42mpg the whole way.

My question is about my A/C. It seems to work whenever it wants to. When it works, even during 90-95 degree summer days, it feels like an igloo. I have honestly never felt air conditioning so cold in my entire life, and from a 14 year old car it's surprising. Serious frostbite! But, sometimes it'll just stop. Doesn't matter if I'm sitting in traffic or 80mph down the freeway. The charge is totally fine per my gauge. Sometimes, it'll work indefinitely (such as 160 miles to Seattle and back, no problems at all.) But, sometimes, it'll just decide not to work anymore after a few miles - it just gives up and blow warm air as if the vent was on only.

A few days ago I noticed something - only when it does this, I'll have a 1500rpm rev hang. If I throw it into neutral and kick the revs up to about 4k, it turns back on just fine and it's back to freezing me out and the rev hang goes away

(edit: wow... 298 views and no answers... cool. Anyway, I figured it out. Thanks!)

daquinot 02-13-2020 11:50 AM

Re: 2005 Civic A/C Weirdness

Originally Posted by ajustin614 (Post 268272)
So, I have a 2005 HCH-I with the manual transmission. Oddly it's one of the most reliable vehicles I've ever owned. 248,000 miles on original everything including clutch as far as I'm aware. Back in the middle of winter last year it made a 2,500 mile flawless trip from Davenport, Iowa to Portland, Oregon and averaged 42mpg the whole way.

My question is about my A/C. It seems to work whenever it wants to. When it works, even during 90-95 degree summer days, it feels like an igloo. I have honestly never felt air conditioning so cold in my entire life, and from a 14 year old car it's surprising. Serious frostbite! But, sometimes it'll just stop. Doesn't matter if I'm sitting in traffic or 80mph down the freeway. The charge is totally fine per my gauge. Sometimes, it'll work indefinitely (such as 160 miles to Seattle and back, no problems at all.) But, sometimes, it'll just decide not to work anymore after a few miles - it just gives up and blow warm air as if the vent was on only.

A few days ago I noticed something - only when it does this, I'll have a 1500rpm rev hang. If I throw it into neutral and kick the revs up to about 4k, it turns back on just fine and it's back to freezing me out and the rev hang goes away

(edit: wow... 298 views and no answers... cool. Anyway, I figured it out. Thanks!)

Im having the same problem. Tell me what you found, thanks