HCH I-Specific Discussions Model Years 2003–2005

2005 Civic: is the window main switch button lit?

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2017, 11:46 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default 2005 Civic: is the window main switch button lit?

I had a minor scare with the backlighting of dials and buttons a few weeks ago.
Then I noticed that on the driver's armrest, the round window main (master) switch button doesn't light at night.
Is it supposed to light? I can't find any mention or image of a light on it on any of the Honda parts websites.

Old 09-02-2017, 09:21 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: 2005 Civic: is the window main switch button lit?

Originally Posted by Ahab
I had a minor scare with the backlighting of dials and buttons a few weeks ago.
Then I noticed that on the driver's armrest, the round window main (master) switch button doesn't light at night.
Is it supposed to light? I can't find any mention or image of a light on it on any of the Honda parts websites.
On my 2003 it lit when I first turned on the car after work and the headlights were on. However, 10 minutes of driving later it was off, regardless of the state of the headlights. Once home the car was turned off and then turned back on again and the headlights turned on. It didn't light that time.

The service manual shows an LED associated with the Master Window Switch (page 22-130) and from the circuit diagram it looks like it should be on any time the power windows can operate. Apparently mine is iffy and yours is gone. For future reference the big power fuses (for the motors) are 23, 22, 24,25 for the driver, front passenger, left rear and right rear power windows. Fuse 13 would disable all of them as would a blown power window relay.

In any case, if your power windows are working I would not bother trying to fix the light. To get to it you need to remove the inner handle (the part with the latch release and lock switch) and then remove the grip cover. To get the latter off one must release a bunch of clips and it is one of those cases where I'm pretty sure things are going to snap off if you don't do it right. Knowing Honda and given the age of the cars, parts might break even if you do do it right. If you must take that apart first look for a video which shows just how and where to pry things apart.

Old 09-06-2017, 11:50 AM
Active Enthusiast

I think I'll leave it alone. Seems like too much trouble to fix it.

Old 09-07-2017, 12:24 PM
Active Enthusiast

This light is odd. It only seems to want to turn on when I start the car after work. Or at least that is the only place I have seen it light up. It then stays on for about 30 seconds and turns off. If I turn the car on anywhere else it never lights up.

Old 09-11-2017, 10:15 AM
Active Enthusiast

The "auto" light seems to respond to ambient light. I rarely drive at night but did so this weekend and found that it was lit the whole time, whether or not the headlights were on. I park in a structure at work, so it is somewhat dark when the car is started there too. If you still care about this, start your car some time at night and see if it lights up.