HCH I-Specific Discussions Model Years 2003–2005

Adding water to Yuasa battery

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2011, 03:13 PM
Active Enthusiast
Question Adding water to Yuasa battery

The circular indicator light on the batter (not the IMA) indicates to add water. It's printed on the label. However, there are no panels to pop up for doing so.
I can only guess the way to do it is to use a nickel in the circular caps on the top to unscrew them and add water, yet that would mean ripping the label off to do so.
Has anyone had to add water to theirs, and how did you do it?

Old 09-20-2013, 05:01 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Adding water to Yuasa battery

I added water to the small battery (I gather it is called the Yuasa battery) in the engine compartment. I did not see any indicator light but when my 2006 Civic wouldn't start (just made a clicking noise), I checked the water in the battery by unscrewing the caps with a regular flathead screwdriver (yes, I should have used a nickel but I am a lazy type and used what was handy) and adding reverse osmosis drinking water (yes, I know I should have used distilled water...).
After attaching jumper cables and started it, it seems to be starting fine since then (which was two weeks ago).
Does anybody know if you can add water to the IMA batteries? I have noticed some sporadic behavior with the charge level indicator lately. It indicates only 3 bars when I start it in the morning but I know that it is higher than that when parked the night before! After it climbs to 4 or 5 bars during driving, then it stops but then all of a sudden it goes to full charge indication (10 bars or so???). I have not seen it do that before but maybe I never noticed it and it is supposed to do that? I have had the car for only 1 year so maybe I am just getting used to it...?
Does anybody know if water can be added to the IMA batteries?

Old 09-23-2013, 11:55 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Adding water to Yuasa battery

Originally Posted by camaroconvertible68
Does anybody know if you can add water to the IMA batteries?
They are NiMH batteries, so no, you cannot add water to them.