HCH I-Specific Discussions Model Years 2003–2005

Amsoil Synthetic CVT fluid

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2016, 07:39 PM
Enthusiast
Default Amsoil Synthetic CVT fluid

Anyone try it in their HCH1's CVT? Just bought my 2nd HCH1 with 96k on the clock and it's my first with a CVT and I'm scared Research is telling me these things are made out of glass.

Old 09-13-2016, 09:29 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Amsoil Synthetic CVT fluid

Honda Genuine CVT fluid only. Replace every other oil change.

Old 09-14-2016, 05:06 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by S Keith
Honda Genuine CVT fluid only. Replace every other oil change.
Any idea who makes it for them?

Old 09-14-2016, 06:12 AM

No.

A CVT is no place to play around with snake oil.

Old 09-15-2016, 06:30 AM
Enthusiast

No.

A CVT is no place to play around with snake oil.
Isn't it all snake oil?

Regardless, I started flushing mine last night with the manfacturer recommended snake oil and noticed some improvements. I'll continue using it until I can get some real life usage examples of the other snake oil.

Old 09-15-2016, 06:42 AM

Originally Posted by IrnGynt
Isn't it all snake oil?

Regardless, I started flushing mine last night with the manfacturer recommended snake oil and noticed some improvements. I'll continue using it until I can get some real life usage examples of the other snake oil.
I've had an overexposure to Amsoil. Too much hype. Like Optima batteries, which are no better than Walmart, autozone or oreilleys models... all made by Johnson Controls.

I can't locate it, but honda published a research paper comparing its CVT fluid to its standard ATF that went in the HCH1. It was a back-to-back comparison of multiple parameters, and the CVT fluid was better in every category.

CVTs are unique. I'm not going against the grain on it based on the usual unsubstantiated claims or hype.

Old 09-15-2016, 06:56 AM
Enthusiast

CVTs are unique. I'm not going against the grain on it based on the usual unsubstantiated claims or hype.
I hear you and appreciate the input. I guess I was just hoping to get a bunch of responses like:

"As soon as I switched to Amsoil CVT fluid all my CVT wonkiness went away!"

Wishful thinking, I know...

Whatever the previous owner had in mine came out almost black. And I'm pretty sure he had it changed at some point because the fill plug was loose. Like less then finger tight loose.

Old 09-15-2016, 08:10 AM

Unfortunately, no. While I've not heard about Amsoil specifically, others have tried other brands of CVT fluid, and all accounts were a worsening.... shuddering, a firmer hit when the start clutch engaged, slipping, etc.

In my experience, the CVT produces a lot of fuzz... finer than is typical for an automatic. The belt to pulley contact is all metal-to-metal. The fluid darkens quickly to a reddish-brown.

Given your description and the lack of specific data concerning fluid change intervals, I would recommend 3X fluid changes over 3 weekends with a week of normal driving between. IIRC, the CVT holds 5.7qt total. With only draining 3 qt, you're only replacing a little over half. After 3 changes, you'll be at 85.4% new fluid.

From there, it's every other oil change or 12-15k miles.