HCH I-Specific Discussions Model Years 2003–2005

Any recent IMA/Battery Replacements?

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2008, 05:54 PM
Default Any recent IMA/Battery Replacements?

Well it looks like it might be time.

172.,000 miles/5.5 years on my '03/manual transmission Civic Hybrid and my IMA light has started kicking on. It's happened 4 or 5 times now. Usually it's just the IMA light but the last time it was the IMA light and the CEL.

The first time it happened, about 5 weeks ago, I googled the problem and found a comment here at GreenHybrid suggesting disconnecting the 12V battery to clear the error. It worked. In fact the + battery terminal was pretty crudded up, so I thought (hoped) that was the problem.

But no. Sure enough it came back on again. I can still clear it by disconnecting the 12V, but it seems to be coming back on quicker. Of course it doesn't help that it's been 95 degrees with very high humidity here the last few days, but this started when it was still cool out.

A few symptoms:

- The IMA charge doesn't last as long as it used to. Of course this is normal for any battery, but I used to make it up the hill outside the village with half the battery charge, now it seems like it will sometimes drop to half-charged a quarter way up. When this happens it usually leads to the next symptom.

- The assist cycle stops working sometimes going up fairly long hills even though the battery shows 35-50% charge.

- Sometimes the charge cycle won't go past 3 bars when I take my foot off the gas. (it has always gone to max bars, or at least as far as the charge status warrants). Now, even with an almost dead IMA battery, coasting downhill, the charge seems stuck at 3 bars until I accelerate again.

- It seems the light will kick on right around the time the last couple symptoms appear. In other words I will go up a steep and/or long hill, the IMA charge will drop off very quickly, I have to downshift to make it up the hill (sometimes into second), on the downhill side I will coast but the charge light will never go past three bars, boom, the IMA light pops on.

* I don't know if it's related, but for a few months now I will get rattle out of the left side of the engine compartment when I put it in N and let the clutch out. I assumed it was the throw-out bearing, and that's what the dealer said it was when I had them check it out, but now I'm not so sure. I remember seeing a comment somewheres in my travels about a "ring sensor". Could this noise be part of the problem. Couldn't my problem be with the motor and not the batteries?

Any ways, what I would really like to know is if anybody here has had any IMA system work done lately, on a '03 Civic, and if so what and how much did it cost.

I want to keep the car, I really don't need to risk going into debt for a new vehicle right now, but I also don't want this thing to become a money pit.

I love the car, I haven't beat the snot out of it, but I haven't babied it either and after 172,000 tough miles and 5.5 years, I really don't have a lot to complain about.

So how about it, fix it or trade it in?

Thx for the help folks...

Old 06-10-2008, 07:15 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Any recent IMA/Battery Replacements?

Mrkcohn: Pretty good for a 172000 miles. You could just keep resetting it. By any chance it wouldn't happen to be the Cat converter problem? I believe Honda has come out with a battery pack for $2500.00 which isn't to awfully bad. And I think that is installed. Used to be much more expensive. I'm sure you will here from some that are more up on this. Good luck with the repair. Are you still happy with the way the car performs without assist? H

Old 06-11-2008, 07:16 AM
Active Enthusiast

I too am at 170k + miles on my '04 MT HCH, and haven't had any issues...yet! I'd look on Ebay for a used pack from a lower mileage car - I've seen them for as little as $500. Or try local junkyards. I always thought when my battery pack dies, I'll just drive it as a gutless 1.3L 4cyl.

Let us know how it all shakes out.

Old 06-11-2008, 11:03 AM
Think green.

Just a thought...is the 12V battery really old? Has it ever been replaced?
Good luck, and let us know how it all turns out.

Old 06-11-2008, 04:04 PM

Thanks for the replies! But as is usually the case with me answers only beg more questions.

Harold: It's funny you mention the cat converter problem. The CEL popped on today, and since I had a pretty slow day I was able to get it right into the dealer to get it checked. Sure enough, $90 later (just for running diags) they come out and tell me its the number 2 cat that caused this CEL. Before they started I told them about the IMA light coming on too but the computer had no IMA errors stored. Apparently disconnecting the 12V to clear the lights also clears the logs.

It doesn't seem logical to me for a bad catalytic converter to cause problems with the IMA portion of the system, but then again I'm not a hybrid expert in any sense of the word, except maybe driving one. Have you actually heard of the cats causing IMA problems in any discussion groups or elsewhere. I'm curious. They quoted me $1200 to replace the converter. Kinda steep, I can probably get it done cheaper at my usual muffler shop. But again, I don't want this thing to become a money pit. I would hate to throw a bunch of money into a cat converter just to have to throw a bunch more into the IMA system.

As far as the car operating without assist, it's a standard so I can downshift to get up the hills, so while I wouldn't exactly say I was happy about running without assist, it's doable. I would be concerned about running that way for an extended period of time though.

Gairwyn: I did replace the 12V once, about 18 months ago, and I just put the load tester to it and it holds up well (11V after 15 sec under load) so I think that battery is ok.

cb: I think I will check out ebay. Thx for the suggestion. Of course then I would have to educate myself on actually replacing the battery pack. I'm guessing physically replacing it wouldn't be too bad, but would the rest of the system recognize the new pack and play nice. And can't the problem be in the controller(s?)?. Questions. Always questions.

Oh well for now I guess I'm waiting for the IMA light to kick on again so I can see what the codes say. Hopefully I can get back to the same dealer and I won't have to shell out another $90.

Thx again for the help....

Old 06-11-2008, 06:43 PM

Mrkcohen: I know the older models with m/t tend to be hard on cats. and I don't believe any old cat. will. work. I am not sure if it effects the IMA, but I seems to me it does. I am not that up on this problem ,but I do remember some talk about this last year. Keep at it and someone in the know will come to your aid. Hopefully the new cat. will solve the problem. Good luck, H

Old 07-25-2008, 09:08 AM
Enthusiast

I had mine replaced in my 2003 HCH CVT about three months ago at 75,000 miles when the IMA light came on. I took it to the dealer right away and they switched out the IMA battery. They said it was a $4,000 battery, but I didn't have to pay any of that.

Old 07-31-2008, 06:22 PM
Enthusiast

Wondering if Mrkcohen ever replaced that IMA battery. I am at 120,700 miles on my 2003 HCH. I've been driving around with the IMA light on for about 2 months, and of course the dealer told me I need a new one. However, it is driving fine and charging fine, so I have time to figure out if I want to replace the battery or buy a new car. I really like my car and don't want to get rid of it!

Also, my CEL is on, and I was told the cat converter needs replaced, which will be the 3rd one! I called Honda and they just said I was over the warranty so no help there. Do you guys think it is worth it to replace my IMA and cat converter? I'm not a millionaire so would like to avoid a car payment if possible. Also, are the IMA batteries only available at the dealer?

Old 07-31-2008, 08:25 PM

I think you should be talking to Honda head office about these problems. They should go good for a new IMA pack as well as the cat. 120,000 miles is low milage and you should not be having this type of problems. Even though your over the warranty ,Honda has had alot of problems with these two items on older HCH's and they have gone good for these parts on higher milage cars, so bug the heck out of Honda! H

Old 08-01-2008, 04:58 AM
Enthusiast

Thanks Harold. Since I've called Honda already and they said "No" I will construct a letter to them with all the info. I am reading alot that people are disgruntled by the cost of these battery packs, when it seems like they should be going down in price. The dealer told me $4000 for the battery pack, which is about what other people are saying they have been told. Seems alot of $$ for a car with 120,000 miles. And like some other people have said, how can we sell our cars when people know the IMA battery packs are needing to be replaced. Makes me feel disappointed about the hybrids.......

Quick Reply: Any recent IMA/Battery Replacements?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands