HCH I-Specific Discussions Model Years 2003–2005

Battery Trouble.. have salvage battery but no way to tell if good

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2013, 12:36 PM
Enthusiast
Default Battery Trouble.. have salvage battery but no way to tell if good

I've been having battery issues for a few months now. I managed to source a local cheap battery and controller (everything in the metal enclosure behind the seat) from a local scrap yard. Car it came from was apparently running fine with low milage, but car it came from was sitting since august (4 months, outside, in car).

So this salvage battery has been sitting, and I have no way to verify it is a good pack. I didn't realize it would be so hard to get someone to check it out/charge it prior to installing it in the car.

Honda dealer says they cannot check the battery without it being in the car. They cannot charge it before putting it in the car. They want $350 to install the battery, in an unknown condition. If it doesn't work, I assume they will want $350 again to put the failing pack that is currently in it, back in.

So, what should I do? I have called every place I can think of locally who deals with batteries and electronics and no one can even check the battery to see if it is good. The longer it sits, the more likely it is to be bad. I could probably install it myself in the spring, but I won't try now because it is winter and I have no garage. My mechanic says he won't touch such a high cap battery. Go to honda. Honda seems hopelessly useless. Does anyone know if these packs can be tested without taking the whole thing apart? What advice do people have for this situation?

Old 12-23-2013, 10:54 AM
I'd rather be flying!
Default Re: Battery Trouble.. have salvage battery but no way to tell if good

Find a different/better mechanic. Or, you may be able to find a place that can rent you a heated bay like this place. http://diytexas.com/
I know you're not in TX, but there may be a place up there that's like it. You'd be able to do the work yourself and save a bunch of money. There is so much information and tutorials on changing out the battery, you should be just fine. There's even a complete video of it on youtube.

Old 01-06-2014, 05:50 PM
Enthusiast

thanks for the reply. I dont understand why it's so difficult to find somewhere to at least test the battery before it goes in.

That said, Honda told me that you can't just replace the battery, that software needs updating or the car won't run. They also said a 2004 battery may not work in a 2003 car. Although, I don't know why.

Now this battery has been sitting on the back seat of my car since november, in the freezing cold lately. How long can these packs sit for without being damaged just by sitting? I will probably just swap the batteries myself, but can someone verify that
1/ software does not need updating, that the car will/should still start and drive after replacement
2/ that a 2004 pack will work to replace a 2003 battery in vehicle

Old 01-07-2014, 05:24 AM
I'd rather be flying!

Battery was just replaced in my 03 by the small dealership I bought my car from. They did not do any software update before or after the install. Car runs and drives just fine.

Old 01-15-2014, 12:09 PM
Enthusiast

I would just change the IMA battery pack. You already have it and know the other one is bad. The 2004 will fit.

You don't want to do a software update. See my website.

The dealer is correct, there is no way to tell if the battery is bad.

I replaced my battery myself. Time consuming, but straight forward. Here is my experience: http://www.theyeagergroup.com/2004_H...placement.html

Old 01-15-2014, 01:02 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by lexxxel
So this salvage battery has been sitting, and I have no way to verify it is a good pack. I didn't realize it would be so hard to get someone to check it out/charge it prior to installing it in the car.
See if you can find somebody with a grid charger who lives near you who wants to help. The grid charger will attempt to fully charge the battery, at a low enough current so that the cells which are already fully charged do not overheat. If the battery is good it will charge up to the proper voltage (around 165V, but I don't recall the exact number). That will take about 2 days. If it stabilizes well below that, then that pack is damaged. Since the salvage pack is not in the car you will need to blow air through it during this process to avoid heat building up.

Old 01-22-2014, 10:26 PM
Enthusiast

I agree get a grid charger fitted to the car. Fit the new battery then grid charge it overnight before using it.

It may well be fine but you will get better life if you grid charger it before putting it in use.

Jeff at hybrid automotive in US is a charger supplier.