HCH I-Specific Discussions Model Years 2003–2005

Big Thank You. New Owner 2004 HCH

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2012, 09:47 AM
Enthusiast
Default Big Thank You. New Owner 2004 HCH

Ok, so I just bought a HCH wih 71K miles on the ODO (paid 6600). Just had the IMA battery replaced in January 2012. Interior is perfect and the car runs fine. Replaced the windshiedl (176 installed) and will replace the back wheel bearings ($33 each, entire rear hub assembly) since I have some noise in that area (easy fix). Both bumps need some TLC, but that is only because I am picky about cars. No big deal for me (will respray the bumpers).

Anyway, I went into this purchase with my eyes wide open and I would like to thank all the contributors here. I know about the battery issues, but the opportunity to get a stick shift with low miles and a near perfect interior was too great to pass up. Being an engineer and someone who has rebuilt cars in the past, rewired houses and generally a mr fix it, the prospect of keeping this well past 300K miles is enticing. This is my first "foreign" nameplate car; I have owned Ford/Mercury my entire life (rangers, F-150, mustangs, mariner...) My wife is disappointed because she see's me at a "mustang cobra" guy. My Cobra has 200K on the ODO and I have only had to replace two water pumps (plus general maintenance items).

The Civic drives very smooth and since I read a lot on this forum, I have been able to many of the techniques. Thus far, I am averaging 45 mpg with 310 miles driven mixed city and highway). This includes some driving with the tire pressure at 22 PSIG (fixed that quickly).

Thanks everyone. I wish they still made the manual version; I am not really an automatic car driver.

Old 01-17-2012, 02:28 PM
Think green.
Default Re: Big Thank You. New Owner 2004 HCH

Good luck with your HCH. I've found mine to be a really good car. No re-cals, original battery still operating well, nice functional interior. With your knowledge as an engineer and ability to "do-it-yourself, you should do fine. Maybe pick up a service manual, that could come in handy.

We have a Ford Mustang sitting in the garage. I doubt I'll ever see it run; it's been sitting there since 1986. My husband is a procrastinator to say the least.

Old 01-17-2012, 03:21 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Welcome QuickStickShift . Yes keep those tires firm. Also make sure it has LRR tires! I had allot of noise in the rear of my HCH2 06 model. The noise turned out to be cupped rear tires. Negative camber. I am not sure if this is a issue with earlier HCH 1 models. Check out Cleanmpg.com for some driving and things to do for improving FE. H

Old 01-18-2012, 07:36 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Gairwyn
Good luck with your HCH. I've found mine to be a really good car. No re-cals, original battery still operating well, nice functional interior. With your knowledge as an engineer and ability to "do-it-yourself, you should do fine. Maybe pick up a service manual, that could come in handy.

We have a Ford Mustang sitting in the garage. I doubt I'll ever see it run; it's been sitting there since 1986. My husband is a procrastinator to say the least.
Wow, I thought I was bad...

I did pick up a shop manual for the car.

Old 01-18-2012, 07:37 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Harold
Welcome QuickStickShift . Yes keep those tires firm. Also make sure it has LRR tires! I had allot of noise in the rear of my HCH2 06 model. The noise turned out to be cupped rear tires. Negative camber. I am not sure if this is a issue with earlier HCH 1 models. Check out Cleanmpg.com for some driving and things to do for improving FE. H
I will most likely get new tires on the rear too. The front tires are fairly new, back tires are dunlops LRR, but they appear to be dry rotting. plenty of tread left.

Old 01-18-2012, 08:25 AM

I'm using Good Year Assurance Fuel Max tires and am very pleased with them. FE up 5-10%, Good traction in snow and on ice and very quiet on pavement. They are a high mileage tire! can be pumped to 51 lbs cold setting. WalMart has the same tire with slightly different tread and cheaper. G/Y Viva Fuel Max. Hal

Old 01-18-2012, 08:53 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Harold
I'm using Good Year Assurance Fuel Max tires and am very pleased with them. FE up 5-10%, Good traction in snow and on ice and very quiet on pavement. They are a high mileage tire! can be pumped to 51 lbs cold setting. WalMart has the same tire with slightly different tread and cheaper. G/Y Viva Fuel Max. Hal
The Dunlops don't look that old and they have lots of tread, they are just cracking and rotting. I don't think I will get them again. Where did you get the GYA Fuel Max?

Thanks.

Old 01-19-2012, 01:47 PM
Enthusiast

Wow, averaging 48.8 MPG on 600 miles, plus 53.3 MPG on the current tank load (88 miles thus far). This so far has exceeded my expectations.

I am using some of the hypermiling techniques, but I am not going overboard. The mileage above is combined city/hwy driving. I think in a long stretch of hwy driving, I could approach 60 rather easily. Wow.

Old 01-19-2012, 02:24 PM

That is great! Keep on doing what you are. You have a very good model for excellent numbers. M/T models are not available any longer as they tended to be very hard on cat. converters! The only Hybrid available with a manual today is the Honda CR-Z . H

Old 01-23-2012, 09:05 AM
Enthusiast

Good luck sir, your check engine light will likely be visiting you soon, like a mooching relative that crashes on your couch for two years. This year model is a lemon, and as much of a honda loyalist as I am, this is the worst car they've ever made. I can't even register this piece of crap because the check engine light will never go away.

I really hope you have a better experience than I have had, but I've had a honda dealer straight up tell me this is the worst model year of this vehicle.

Quick Reply: Big Thank You. New Owner 2004 HCH

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands