HCH I-Specific Discussions Model Years 2003–2005

Bought used 03 HCH at 80k miles. Should I get transmission fluid replaced?

Old 05-24-2016, 12:16 PM
Enthusiast
Default Bought used 03 HCH at 80k miles. Should I get transmission fluid replaced?

Hey everyone,

New to greenhybrid forums here. Seems like a great forum with lots of helpful members so figured I'd ask my question.

I just got a used automatic 03 HCH from a dealership. According to the manual, the car is supposed to have it's transmission fluid flushed and replaced every 30k miles. I'm not sure how the previous owner took care of the car and if he did this or not (carfax doesn't show any service records).

The car is currently at 80k, so I figured I should get the transmission fluid replaced. When I went to pepboys, however, a mechanic told me that it may be risky to get a transmission fluid flush because if the previous owner never did it the fluid may have gotten thicker and is actually working to keep the parts together, so getting new transmission fluid may actually harm the car. I held off on doing the flush to do some research, and wanted to get your opinions.

TLDR: Got used car at 80k, and the transmission fluid was probably never replaced by previous owner. Should I get it replaced now?

Thanks!

Eric

Old 05-24-2016, 04:55 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Bought used 03 HCH at 80k miles. Should I get transmission fluid replaced?

I assume this is a CVT.

The idea that old sh1tty fluid is somehow helping the transmission is a silly notion that's been perpetuated for decades. It is a complete falsehood.

Replace it as soon as practical with exactly 3 qts of Genuine Honda CVT fluid ONLY.

Continue to replace it EVERY OTHER OIL CHANGE with exactly 3 qts of Genuine Honda CVT fluid ONLY.

Steve

Old 05-24-2016, 05:42 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Bought used 03 HCH at 80k miles. Should I get transmission fluid replaced?

Originally Posted by S Keith
I assume this is a CVT.

The idea that old sh1tty fluid is somehow helping the transmission is a silly notion that's been perpetuated for decades. It is a complete falsehood.

Replace it as soon as practical with exactly 3 qts of Genuine Honda CVT fluid ONLY.

Continue to replace it EVERY OTHER OIL CHANGE with exactly 3 qts of Genuine Honda CVT fluid ONLY.

Steve
Thanks Steve, appreciate the reply. I'll get that done as soon as I get back. Any thoughts on where? (Should I always get a Honda dealer to do it?)

(You can probably tell this is the first car I've owned )

Old 05-24-2016, 06:09 PM

I do it myself. My local dealer charges a little under $10/qt at the parts counter. I have no idea what they would charge for the whole job, but I can promise you it would **** me off.

Wow. First car. That was nearly 30 years ago for me.

You should begin saving $200/month immediately for a pack replacement unless you can afford to do it now. Your pack can go at any time. 80K on a 13 year old car does not generally bode well for battery health.

Alternatively, you could buy a hybrid automotive prolong reconditioning kit and attempt to maximize the health of your existing battery.

Good luck,

Steve

Old 05-24-2016, 06:26 PM
Enthusiast

I do it myself. My local dealer charges a little under $10/qt at the parts counter. I have no idea what they would charge for the whole job, but I can promise you it would **** me off.

Wow. First car. That was nearly 30 years ago for me.

You should begin saving $200/month immediately for a pack replacement unless you can afford to do it now. Your pack can go at any time. 80K on a 13 year old car does not generally bode well for battery health.

Alternatively, you could buy a hybrid automotive prolong reconditioning kit and attempt to maximize the health of your existing battery.

Good luck,

Steve
Haha, not surprised. I'm not 100% sure I can manage it myself, although I'll try it out. Hope youtube has some videos on it.

Yeah I've heard a lot of warnings about the battery dying. It should be within my budget to replace though. I'll definitely look into the Prolong package you linked too.

Thanks a lot!

Eric

Old 05-24-2016, 06:36 PM

It literally takes 1 tool... a 3/8" drive ratchet.

When it comes time to replace it, don't throw your money away on Honda. Things went very wrong in the 09-11 time frame, and I see no evidence that they've fixed things.

http://bumblebeebatteries.com/hybrid...ybrid-battery/

They ALWAYS say out of stock, but they build to order

Old 05-25-2016, 02:01 PM
Active Enthusiast

It literally takes 1 tool... a 3/8" drive ratchet.
No ramps or jack stands? I have owned cars that I could crawl under while all 4 wheels were on the ground - this definitely isn't one of them.

Old 05-25-2016, 02:06 PM
Active Enthusiast

They ALWAYS say out of stock, but they build to order
Yeah, I have wondered if that choice of words might not be costing them some business. "Out of stock" on most web sites is a big sign telling the potential purchaser to look elsewhere, especially if it doesn't give an indication that that state is likely to change, for instance with "new stock expected 5/25/16". Their site really should say "All packs are built to order" instead.

Old 05-25-2016, 02:23 PM

okay... 2 tools... a 3/8" ratchet and ramps.

Crap... Now I may be getting it confused with other cars. You might need a 10mm socket to drop the belly cover to access the bottom of the engine.

Seriously though... it's as easy as changing the oil.

Old 05-25-2016, 03:58 PM
Enthusiast

Watched some youtube videos, doesn't seem that hard.

I'll def try it out when I get back in the states and report back. Thanks for the advice from all of you, esp Steve.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Bought used 03 HCH at 80k miles. Should I get transmission fluid replaced?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands