HCH I-Specific Discussions Model Years 2003–2005

"Building" a discharger

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2017, 03:47 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default "Building" a discharger

Hi people,

I see most of the discharge kits for grid chargers are just incandescent light bulbs. What are the requirements for such a device?

how many watts should the bulb be? Is that really as simple as it is? Just a steady load which most use a light bulb t provide? What characteristics should the load have?
And what is 1C for a HCH I battery?

And if i buy a Prolong device which is "discharge ready" what will hooking up my home made discharger entail?

Last edited by dosmastr; 04-02-2017 at 03:56 PM.
Old 04-02-2017, 05:17 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: "Building" a discharger

Originally Posted by dosmastr
Hi people,

I see most of the discharge kits for grid chargers are just incandescent light bulbs. What are the requirements for such a device?

how many watts should the bulb be? Is that really as simple as it is? Just a steady load which most use a light bulb t provide? What characteristics should the load have?
And what is 1C for a HCH I battery?

And if i buy a Prolong device which is "discharge ready" what will hooking up my home made discharger entail?
You're asking the kinds of questions that suggest you don't know what the answers mean.

The easy answer is to buy an HA discharger and follow their discharge recommendations on their website. Yeah, I know it seems like a lot to pay for a block of wood and some bits, but you're paying for about $20 of materials and time. The connector alone is a few bucks, and the tool necessary to properly crimp the pins is about $200.

If you don't want to pay for the discharger, HA may sell you the harness and you can make your own.