HCH I-Specific Discussions Model Years 2003–2005

Check Engine + IMA Light

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2011, 07:37 PM
Veteran Mechanic
Default Re: Check Engine + IMA Light

Any way you look at it, batteries have 2 things going against them for vehicle propulsion, the same 2 things that have forever plagued electric cars and one big reason we are all driving gasoline powered cars instead(yes Im a tree hugger, but also a realist)

1 They have a much lower storage capacity than a tank of gas pound for pound.

2 They have a life expectancy in both usage and years "bout 10 years"(now you know the reason auto makers jumped on hybrids) best of both worlds for those in love with the term "planned obsolescence…..

Cheers!! to the hope we get fuel cell/electric vehicles soon!

Old 02-21-2011, 08:36 PM
Enthusiast

I keep saying this again and again on the forums, and I get no response. Full-electric or plug-in hybrid vehicles will demand more from the electrical grid, and consume more energy overall. If you live in an area that relies on coal, your plug-in or electric is mostly powered by coal. Coal is obviously mined. So not only are you demanding more energy, but you're giving more cause to the destruction of natural areas and emissions of coal.

But people continue to worship the coming of the electric car. Sure, it'll be fine when there are only 5,000 electric car drivers, but a full conversion for cars on the road to electric or plug-in will demand ridiculous things of our environment. The fuel cell is where it is, whenever that is.

Meanwhile, I'd like to enjoy my hybrid for the benefits it gives--consuming less fossil fuels overall and allowing me to avoid emitting even more while idle. The conspiracy theory of "planned obsolescence" of hybrid vehicles just doesn't fly with me.

Old 02-21-2011, 10:49 PM
Veteran Mechanic

Well, I certainly don't consider it a conspiracy theory, I consider it good business sense to want your customers coming back at least every 100k miles =) anyways I was wishing for a fuel cell vehicle which is different than a plug-in hybrid.

Plus, even my next door neighbor who works for the power company says they are ready for a million+ full electric vehicles just here in California, as long as most of them get charged overnight(off peak) like they would be anyways.

But, we can keep enjoying our hybrids, until such technology gets an infrastructure to support it, I agree!

Old 02-22-2011, 08:45 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by civichybridminded
I keep saying this again and again on the forums, and I get no response. Full-electric or plug-in hybrid vehicles will demand more from the electrical grid, and consume more energy overall. If you live in an area that relies on coal, your plug-in or electric is mostly powered by coal. Coal is obviously mined. So not only are you demanding more energy, but you're giving more cause to the destruction of natural areas and emissions of coal.

But people continue to worship the coming of the electric car. Sure, it'll be fine when there are only 5,000 electric car drivers, but a full conversion for cars on the road to electric or plug-in will demand ridiculous things of our environment. The fuel cell is where it is, whenever that is.

Meanwhile, I'd like to enjoy my hybrid for the benefits it gives--consuming less fossil fuels overall and allowing me to avoid emitting even more while idle. The conspiracy theory of "planned obsolescence" of hybrid vehicles just doesn't fly with me.
I agree with you. I am not sold on plug-in hybrid or electric cars considering the source of electricity and the environmental damage done to generate that electricity. I am more inclined to go with Fisker Karma like setup where batteries are charged by solar panels on the roof (although I am aware of the arguments on environmental damage done to mine material for solar panels). For now I am enjoying my HAH using less fuel and not emitting at stoplight just like you.

Last edited by gonehiking; 02-22-2011 at 08:50 AM.
Old 02-22-2011, 10:14 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by civichybridminded
I would like to know how you guys pulled codes off your car. Did you take it to AutoZone or do it another way?
AutoZone did it as a free service in about 5 minutes, not counting the extra time calling Honda when one of the codes did not match my HCH.

Old 03-04-2011, 06:50 AM
Have hybrid, will travel.

Has anyone replaced the battery themselves? I have seen some highlevel instructions that it is about a one-hour job.
MY battery on my 2004 HCH is faling after 210K Miles. I was going to risk a $500 used battery to salvage 12-18 months. Does anyone have instructions?

Old 03-04-2011, 06:42 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I could type out second gen instructions, from the Service Manual. Will hang on though, wait to see if anyone has first gen specific instruction.

Old 03-04-2011, 06:49 PM
Active Enthusiast

Hope this up loaded right
here are good instructions

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
201004_CivicBattery.pdf (1.23 MB, 4160 views)