HCH I-Specific Discussions Model Years 2003–2005

competition clutch: mileage advantages?

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2007, 01:56 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default competition clutch: mileage advantages?

Hi all. I have a clutch that's starting to slip (with only 27,000 miles on it, but in Honda's defense, I taught someone how to drive a manual in it, but then again.... 27,000 miles).

Anyway, since I'm going to need to replace the clutch, and the car is >3 years old so not in warranty, I'm wondering if there might be any mileage gains by getting one of those sport tuner competition clutch kits with the ultralight flywheel, etc.,.

So, the other question is, are there any competition clutch kits that would work with the 1.3 liter engine?

Anyone with any ideas about this, I'd love to hear them. Thanks.

Old 09-01-2007, 02:03 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: competition clutch: mileage advantages?

I definitely wouldn't recommend a lighter flywheel for our vehicles due to the small motor/lack of rotating weight. The more inertia that's stored in the flywheel, the easier it is to start out in first gear. As for the HP clutches, most of those will require more pedal effort in order to release. They generally have more holding power, and are more like a switch, either engaged or not. I would recommend just installing a factory clutch and flywheel. I've only put 42k on my 5 speed, but hopefully, someone will chime in that has more mileage than me.

Old 09-02-2007, 04:28 PM
Active Enthusiast

I have 73k on my 2004 and so far clutch seem normal to me.

Old 01-02-2009, 03:22 AM
Enthusiast

I have 140,000 miles on my Honda Civic Hybrid and the clutch has never been replaced - I have a bad throwout bearing, and it makes a lot of noise.

I ordered a clutch kit from ebay and it didn't fit.

Apparently the seller was falsely advertising the clutch as compatible with a hybrid.

Selling the Exedy Part KHC08

I emailed exedy and they don't make a part number for the hybrid cars.

I need to look elsewhere anyone have any idea where I can buy a complete clutch kit?

I've had the car for 2 year, I put abour 40k miles on it previous owner put 99k miles on it.

Battery was replaced once.