HCH I-Specific Discussions Model Years 2003–2005

Cost of repairing HCH Manual Trans Clutch

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2010, 05:00 AM
Enthusiast
Default Cost of repairing HCH Manual Trans Clutch

Without any prior warning/slipping, I lost the clutch while driving on a local SoCal freeway at normal cruise speed in my 2004 Honda Civic Hybrid with manual transmission. Had to coast to the shoulder and get a tow. Now I'm being told by a dealer that the clutch replacement will cost a breathtaking $1875, with $900+ of that being for parts including $350 for a new flywheel. They tell me you don't resurface the flywheel in these cars -- you only replace them. (I don't believe they've even opened it up yet.)

Does anyone here have any feeling for the projected cost of this repair? Is the dealer just throwing the kitchen sink at me or should a clutch repair in an HCH really cost 10% of the new cost of the vehicle?

(Note: The car has 138k miles so I'm 12k from the end of the battery warranty, and the battery has already been replaced once. So even if I pay for this clutch repair, I'm facing an even bigger expense the next time the battery fails.)

Old 07-08-2011, 08:26 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Cost of repairing HCH Manual Trans Clutch

I had my clutch replaced $1450, by a shop I trust, they resurfaced the fly wheel