HCH I-Specific Discussions Model Years 2003–2005

Crank no start Honda Civic hybrid 03

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2018, 02:20 PM
Enthusiast
Question Crank no start Honda Civic hybrid 03

My car will crank but won't start. I hooked up a presupre gauge and have none. My car will start for a minute with starter fluid. I unhooked the fuel line from the pump and turned the key and it shoots out fuel.

Old 03-07-2018, 12:18 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Crank no start Honda Civic hybrid 03

Originally Posted by Jass-Kitten Smith
I hooked up a presupre gauge and have none.
"none" == 0 PSI???? That would suggest that the motor isn't even turning, or the block literally split in half, but those are not consistent with it "running for a while with starter fluid". Find a way to safely observe the motor so that you can verify it is actually spinning when an assistant tries to start it.

Normally the car starts with the small electric motor. If the IMA battery is too low it will try to start with the starter motor. Starter motors sometimes fail by locking, so that when the ignition switch is turned nothing happens. If it is trying to use the starter motor and the 12V battery is very weak it may not crank enough to start.

There are a lot of things that could be wrong here:

1. fuel (you showed that the pump works, maybe no signal is getting to the injectors?)
2. no spark
3. blocked air intake

It probably isn't a blocked exhaust, that would start and run briefly before stopping.

If this started suddenly perhaps check the fuses and make sure that none involved in running the motor are blown. Also check that the 12V battery is functional. If you don't have a voltmeter or battery tester just try jump starting it.