HCH I-Specific Discussions Model Years 2003–2005

CVT 'BANGS' in/out of gear

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2012, 07:31 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default CVT 'BANGS' in/out of gear

I have 147k on the original CVT (fluid changes every 25-30k) and for the past 6 months or so, the transmission will literally slam into gear when starting out and makes a loud 'thump' when I let off the gas transioning to a stop. It is quite noticeable - a few weeks go I was starting out and the passenger thought someone ran into the back of the car because of the 'bang' and sudden learch foward.

I can control it somewhat by letting the the transmission engage and begin to roll forward before pressing the gas petal. There's not much I can do to lessen the problem when decelerating to a stop light. Sometimes the regenerative brakes will come on, and then turn off when the transmission thumps (decelerating to a stop).

This is not the same as the judder that is fixed by a fluid change. I've had that problem too, but a fluid change always fixes it.

My neighbor has the same car/problem, and she took hers to the dealership who quoted her $4300 to replace the CVT. If the answer is $4300, I'll drive it till the CTV drops completely out of the car, and then take the plates off and run.