HCH I-Specific Discussions Model Years 2003–2005

CVT Question

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2007, 08:47 PM
Tim
Enchanter, Enthusiast
Default CVT Question

I know there has been discussions on the CVT before, but I'm having a rough time sorting out what's going on and was looking for anyone who has experienced similar.

I have an 03 HCH CVT with 65K miles. Had it serviced at 60K - all was well. I haven't had any thing happen that I'd call a transmissin issue, but I've noticed a difference in the last 2K miles or so.

So here is what the transmission is doing:
- Under mild accelleration from a stop, the transmission sometimes over-shoots (or undershoots?), then corrects itself (this is in the first second of accelleration). The engine jumps to 2K RPM, then back to 1500 (it's not smooth - it's a jerky feeling).
- When driving ~10-20 MPH at a constant speed (light on the gas), the transmission will often pulse, jerking the car around.
- At speed (30-40 MPH), when I'm coasting then step on the gas (moderately, not flooring), it hesitates maybe .5 second then "bangs" into gear (bang is too strong a word, but it jumps and lurches).
- When coasting at speed, the transmission also pulses. That is, it jumps to 1500 RPM, then 800, then 1500.. back and forth like it can't decide what gear to be in.

Now none of this happens all the time, but all happen at least once in a 25 mile commute.

I'm about ready to take it in - any thoughts?

Old 04-05-2007, 11:07 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: CVT Question

Sounds like what mine was doing just before 30K miles and a fluid change cured it.
At about 95K it is happening again- but I'm still running on that 30K fluid and I'll wait for my 100K interval for it to be changed again.

Old 04-05-2007, 11:16 AM
Tim
Enchanter, Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Hot_Georgia_2004
Sounds like what mine was doing just before 30K miles and a fluid change cured it.
At about 95K it is happening again- but I'm still running on that 30K fluid and I'll wait for my 100K interval for it to be changed again.
I'll have that looked into - curious thing though (and what has me worried) is that I had it done at the 60K service - just 4-5K miles ago.

Old 04-05-2007, 02:07 PM

Yes, that's the first step. have the CVT tranny fluid change. There is a service bulletin out there by Honda that addresses this issue. If I find it, I'll post it again.

Old 04-05-2007, 02:11 PM

Ok... go to this post... see if this helps:

https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/...tter#post75159

If so, have your local Honda dealership look up K.B. Ref# 11560 (Title: CVT SHUDDER @ACCEL R&D PROCEDURE (R&R FLUID, BURNISH))

Old 04-05-2007, 07:26 PM
Tim
Enchanter, Enthusiast

Thanks! I'm calling tomorrow.

Old 04-08-2007, 02:12 AM

It could also be the egr valve. I have had both problems. The shuddering in the service bulletin which was fixed by a transmission flush. And the hesitation, lurching under light acceleration which was fixed by replacing the egr.

Old 04-09-2007, 09:46 PM

The only thing close to that I've experienced is a little slipping when accellerating suddenly from a stop. In the first second or two it revs up without moving the car much, then suddenly takes hold. Sort of like briefly slipping then dumping a clutch. I am due for a CVT fluid change in about 5k though, so perhaps I'll move that up a bit.

The rest of your problems seem quite abnormal to me.

Old 03-08-2008, 11:55 AM
Enthusiast

Hm. Mine hesitates slightly, then bumps up a notch when starting from an idling stop or AS, too, and sometimes hesitates slightly when I attempt to accelerate at other times. And sometimes when I go to brake, it doesn't respond as quickly as it should, necessitating a harder stop than I'd like. The braking problem I've noticed since I purchased the car used in August '07; the acceleration hitch I've noticed only starting recently. I'm approaching 55,000 miles, so maybe in another 5,000 I'll go in for 60K maintenance and mention that bulletin.